Jeff Ascough seminar, is it worth seeing?

To do what he does with available light - well that just might take a fast lens on a rangefinder, we should all go and try with our AF cameras with smaller max apertures and see if we can get a similar 'look'.

It would be unfair for anyone to say that we can't shoot 'as well as' because that is a measure of talent. There is no doubt around here that Jeff has an amazing talent. The important question is - do we need a bag full of Leica rangefinders and fast lenses.

No Eric I didn't think that. I respect that Jeff takes more risks not having an agenda and pre-conceived shots. It's like trapeze without the net. He goes right for the story and he has a nose for it. But then I?m drawn to stories and photojournalism. There's a lot of warmth and humanity in his shots.<BR>Regarding equipment I think whatever works for you. It's the image we are after. It's purely a photog's decision which equip works best for him or her to get the image. Clearly though Jeff Ascough is at ease with his Leica and he is able to bring back these wonderful photographs.

Let's let the guy speak for himself...

Exerpts from the Washington Post interview ...

"The lens I use the most for available light is the Nocti and possibly the 35 [f1.4] if I can't

get back any further. I use Leica because I can hand-hold the camera down to 1/8th sec."

A thought on the subject of using just any old camera/lens from Frank Van Ripper, author

of the Post article ...

" Pricey though Jeff's gear may be, I think someone working with more mundane glass, for

example, might still be able to get good available light results by using faster film, like

Ilford's fantastic Delta 3200, which Judy and I love for low-light shooting.

Still, what makes Jeff's work so arresting, aside from his superb eye for composition and

for the precise moment to shoot, is the fact that the images are, well, creamy, not grainy.

This is a function of the fact that his investment in superb lenses has allowed him to use

slower, finer-grained films, which in turn produce the kind of silky prints that simply

astound."

I agree.

If you know what it is you want to do, then you'll find the right tool to do the job. Jeff obviously wants to work in low light with no flash, and in those conditions, (and using film) the Leica offers distinct advantages. It's lenses <i>are</i> generally better wide-open than the competition; You <i>can</i> handhold it a full stop slower than an SLR; It is <i>quieter</i> than most SLR's; The Noctilux Jeff uses allows him to shoot in <i>eight times</i> less light than you can with a (fast!) f2.8 zoom mounted on your SLR.

<p>

The advantages are small individually, but they do make for a package that's more capable in those conditions than any other camera. It means handholding rather than foregoing the shot, or reaching for a tripod; It means catching people at their ease instead of an awkward pose; It means using God's own light rather than a 'set-phasers-to-stun' flash; It means using creamy, grainless T400CN instead of Ilford 3200. The proof is in the pictures. If you think you can do as well or better using your SLR, then post the results.

<p>

All I know is that Jeff must have his technique nailed. I tried using only Leicas for a couple of weddings, but the outdoor fill-flash was unmanageable! ;-)

I'll put my two cents in here and try and clear up one or two things that have been raised.

My style is based on being totally unobtrusive, and using available light as much as possible. I hate flash with a passion, it is artificial, crude, and is the biggest give away to the client that they have just had their picture taken.

Many low light images can be beautiful, it is just exposure that prevents many photographers from shooting them. The exposure drops, out comes the flash and the image is destroyed. Leica gives me the ability to shoot discreetly in virtually all lighting conditions without resorting to flash. Here's why;

1) The lack of mirror means I can hand hold an f1 Noctilux at 1/8th sec. On my old Canon's I was lucky to get a steady shot at 1/30th with a 50mm 1.4 lens. That is an extra 3 stops of exposure that I have at my disposal with Leica. For me, the Noct is not about the 'look' as much as the extra speed, which means I don't need to use flash and kill the image.

2) The cameras are small, and very quiet. A 1V sounds like a gun going off in comparison. Again, the quieter the camera, the less the client is aware they are being photographed.

3) The camera is less threatening than an SLR. It doesn't scream 'wedding photographer' at everyone. This gives me an advantage when shooting the guests.

4) The direct vision rangefinder means I can see the shot at the point of exposure. I know I have the shot and can move on. An SLR is a PITA to me now. The bloody viewfinder goes blank when you take the pic ;-)) In addition to that a Leica VF isn't affected by lens choice. In real terms this means the VF is the same brightness no matter what aperture lens is being used. In low light with a 21 or 28 this is a godsend. Also the image through the VF is the same as I see it. With an SLR I always found myself looking for the shot through the lens, with a Leica I see the shot, frame it and shoot.

Yep, I love my cameras. They are perfectly suited to my needs as an unobtrusive, available light photographer. They allow me to get images which I wouldn't get with an SLR. If others find their ideal camera to be a 1DS MKII or a twin lens Rollei, then that is great. Ultimately the images are what is important, not the hardware that took them.

Jeff... I hope you are seriously considering making available for sale at least a transcript of the UK seminar since it will include the business portion that will not be included in the US seminar.

Your work continues to be an inspiration. You have a great eye. It wouldn't matter what hardware you used.

Jeff, thanks for the detailed response. However, I wasn't trying to stir the pot with a "who the heck is..." or a "why the hell would you use a Leica..." but merely wanted a link to a Noctilux image on your site.

I'm well aware of this lens and characteristics, especially wide open, and it makes me drool. It's perhaps the only Leica glass that can be distinguished from Ziess or Japanese focal equivalents. I work in a very low light genre of photography, perhaps even less available light than cathedrals, a genre that was once dominated by Leica's until the sound blimp became proven.

With the sound issue aside, the stealth abilities of Leica's are also appreciated on set with the stress, attitudes, and concentration that can be found there. Your chosen application to wedding work is a requirement in mine, the need to blend in, not draw attention to yourself or distract ones subject. I however did not have the luxury of film stock choices. Most of my film shooting was done on EPJ 320 until contact sheets and C-41 was accepted in the industry and hence the use of NPZ and it's colour correction and pushing abilities. But today, the iso 1600/3200 on a sensor is really appreciated.

Anyway, I asked a couple printing related questions further up, and am genuinely interested if there is a market for hand printed custom fibre printed images and if this what you provide? I really feel there is, or will be, a niche market for large creamy conventional b&w prints and employ those that can make a print sing once a bit of time has passed and enough people have supplied uncorrected jpgs as a product.

Jeff,

I've never met you but perhaps someday I'll have the honor of taking a class from you. You see, it's people like you and Monte, Ken, Gary, Denis and others who are so willing to help a hack like me.

Education is worth every penny you spend. And I'll bet Jeff even learns from us!

Bless you Jeff! Thanks for giving back to the photography profession. It's people like you that make it art.

• 2 weeks later...

What some don't really get: the first question is about what you see and what you want to capture. That's the give variable, before equipment should get discussed.

So, Jeff, wants to take discrete pics of couple and guests - without them notice him. His choice is the film-based M6 camera system. It works for him (his objectives).

Now, don't start to buy into this expensive camera system, if you really like to interact with couple and guests and make them do funny things in front of your camera (you might be a master in this field and really produce stunning work). A great digital camera like a Canon 1D MK2 might be ideal for this kind of work.

But then, there are different equipment choices, even if you are into unobtruesive PJ, but are interested in color photography. No way, that Jeff gets better color in his pictures with his film based approach at 3200 ASA / F1.4 / 1/15th than someone using a 1Ds2. :-))

All that gear stuff aside, going to one of Jeff's (I like that "Monte Zucker of Digital" quote ;-) ) will give you loads of great insights:

1) No need to join the digital mainstream if you have something very special on offer

2) Think workflow! How much work are you actually investing into the product. Is Mr. Min Wage at the Burger King making a better hourly money that you trying to photoshop each of your 2500 JPGs from last Saturday...

3) Think "brand building" - what actually is your product? What is it that you do much better than anyone else.

Jeff has succeeded in building his very own approach that allows him to produce very respectable images, earns him enough money and still let's him have some time for stuff outside work.

You don't need to have any plans to become the next "master of available light" - to enjoy the seminar and find alot of useful information there.

• 10 months later...

I think it's nice for Jeff to take the time to write a response on the forum.

He seems like a very decent chap. He didn't get drawn by one or two of the comments posted either ( the ones which were critical and without foundation)

He has taken his time to explain what works for him personally, who can argue with that? All this talk on equipment is all very well, but the bottom line is, can you take a great photo (one look at Jeffs site answers that he certainly can). The right equipment of course is important, but I suspect Jeff could take great photos with ANY camera.

There are many people who could use his Camera and come up with nothing of any note.

It's great to study photos by people who's photography you admire and learn lessons from them and it's important to just get out there and take lots of photos, try out the equipment by all means but just find what works best for you, and use it, even if it's a disposable camera, it doesn't matter. Take time to get the type of photos you want to get.

Appreciate people who can offer advice and willing to take the time, like Jeff.

He clearly loves photography, has a gift for it and despite some silly comments from one or two people (read above and see for yourself) is willing to share his passion with others.

I like Kevin's comment:

Let's make this simple: Prove your point by using whatever camera you have to make shots as nice as his'

Well said....

Jeff's photos are great and I'm pleased he's the kind of person who is willing to take time to share his passion.

Thanks a lot Jeff, keep producing those photos !

• 2 years later...

This jeff guy is a really, really, really great photographer. he is recognised already as top wedding pro but deserves to go the whole way. what he does is quite simply fine art. if he came to madrid i would go and see him.

if he could see what i see in the lab very day here in spain coming from local weddings he would shudder.

having said that though he is lucky that he gets clients who let him take cool spontaneous natural photos. it is a real uphill struggle to let clients here in spain let you so something cool like mr genius jeff. many want endless lines of fake smile nonsense.

keep trucking mr genius jeff.