Jeff Ascough seminar, is it worth seeing?

Phil, it might be more beneficial if you did weddings seriously and was looking for some insight and critique after you were a bit more seasoned? But nothing wrong with learning something new at any stage of the game, is there? Go for it.

Eric, a little background;

I shot my first wedding about 18 years ago, after 6 years as a fairly serious amateur, I had a go at shooting full time. I discovered I was a better photographer than a businessman.

Then after several years of taking hardly any photo's, a couple of years ago I was asked to do a wedding for a friend, I've since done about a half dozen (all by recommendation). Now I've got the bug back and I'm bowled over by the PJ style, however I haven't really had a serious attempt yet. I have however got several more weddings booked for this year.

I've seen his website, and a lot of the stuff round here that knocks my socks off. Far more interesting than the traditional style I've been shooting.

I'm going. Mostly for Jeff's seminar because I'm interested in shooting a few wedddings all

available light with a Leica, which is what he does. I've already swapped e-mails with Jeff

concerning an exchange of specific gear and business information.

So, if it was in BF, USA, I probable wouldn't go. But, I like shooting personal stuff in Las

Vegas anyway, and my wife likes the glitz.

But there are also other seminars that might be of interest for many here.

I'm not being paid for the American seminar. I'm only getting part of my air fare covered, all other expenses I'm having to pay for myself. I'm certainly not getting rich going to Vegas...LOL.

Second thing is, these are the first major seminars I have done for three years, and will probably be the last that I do.

Anyhow, just to put some flesh on the bones and hopefully give you all an idea of what will be covered.

The seminars are broken down into three sections;

Photography

Business

Album design/shooting

The UK will get all three in hour sections, the US will get the photography and album design/shooting in one 2 hour section (no business).

Photography will cover in considerable depth; composition, lighting, storytelling, and expression. This will be looked at from the perspective of a pure journalistic approach with no directin from the photographer. It will give a good insight into what I look for and how I shoot my images.

Business will give an insight into my business. Workflow, product, profit margins etc etc will all be covered.

Album design/shooting will cover how I shoot a wedding from start to finish and how this relates to the finished album. I'm hoping to show a couple of complete weddings, show how each shot was taken, why it was taken and how it ended up in the album. This is a first as far as I know, certainly in the UK.

So there you have it...any questions that you may have, please let me know.

Jeff

"I prefer Leica M6 cameras which are small, light, unobtrusive, virtually silent in operation and produce a unique quality of photograph that cannot be matched by any other camera system, digital or otherwise. Film pictures shot with Leica cameras have an unmistakable beauty about them".

Does he really believe this? I thought Dennis Reggie was the Monte Zucker of PJ wedding shooters?