I am so tempted to give DSLR a try...

ka_ho_wong

I am wondering who make better lens, Nikon or Canon ? How good are their lenses when

compare to Leica lenes ? Most important thing, I still want to be the one who takes the

picture,

not the camera. These Japanese cameras are known for their computer thingys that I

would never need... Who gives the user better control?

Thanks

Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, and (within the past several weeks in the U.S.) Minolta -- all offer fine dslr's, fine lenses, and offer automated or full manual control. Nikon and Canon have been at this longer and have more models to choose from. New ones are being introduced regularly, making some of the just-replaced models attractive buys (unless you require features they don't have).

I think it would be worth your time to find a well-stocked camera store and handle the ones in your price range. That will give you more to go on than internet back-and-forth.

Give it a try. The only downside is that if you don't like it, you're out $1,000. But you probably could sell it and not lose too much money. And if you like it, then you're good to go.

In general, most Japanese SLRs are highly automated: autoexposure, autoadvance/autorewind (not with digital, of course), autofocus. It's the technologically advanced, modern-day equivalent of the Kodak Brownie -- push the button, the camera does the rest. You barely have to be conscious.

Really, however, you still have to compose your shot, and so if you don't have to concern yourself with the other aspects, then you should get better compositions. And if you don't like it -- zap, it's gone. Perfect for our disposable society.

Most SLRs, digital or not, have a manual setting and you can turn off autofocus as well.

Set ISO to your liking as you do on a non DX aware metered camera.

Think slide when exposing as dSLRs have a limited dynamic range close to slide film.

If you don't like darkroom work, give your memory card to a minilab and you're done.

But take care! It's addictive!

>> I am wondering who make better lens, Nikon or Canon ? <<

They both do. Their best lenses are very good but their cosumer grade zooms are not.

>> How good are their lenses when compare to Leica lenes ? <<

Their "prime" lenses compare very favorably in performance. Where they may differ very noticeably is in their "signature" or bokeh. The Nikkors usually display a sharp-edged line or crosseyed look on the out of focus areas, while the Canons are more smooth but not approaching some of the most celebrated Leica/Leitz lenses.

If you want to have full manual control and use your Leica M lenses, why not get an Epson RD-1? It will be much more expensive than the cheapest Canon and Nikon (threefold maybe) but you will save on glass as you may already own several lenses for your Leica. As a bonus, the handling will be practically identical to your M.

I have used Leicas and Nikons for a long time. I have a D100 Nikon.

Therefore I would have to recommend Canon.

If I were starting again in SLR I would go with Canon. They keep ahead of the

curve over Nikon. Don't get me wrong. Nikon makes good stuff and I'll be

buying a cupla the D2Xs when they come out, but I really think Canon is

better. The Canon D20 would appear to be an excellent camera to start with.

Canon also makes a 24 f1.4 that translates to 35 f1.4 in digi land. Closest

Nikon has is a 28 fl1.4. [OTOH, I really would like that new 200 f2 that Nikon's

introduced......but that's another story.]

Might be a stupid answer, but how about going to your local store and trying one out (or finding a friend who has one, or renting one)?

If you want to use manual exposure a lot, avoid the Digital Rebel as it's annoying in that case.

BTW, on the "cheap" Nikon DSLRs you can't set the aperture with the aperture ring, you need to use the command wheels. Also, those cameras can only meter with CPU-equipped lenses.

Set a Canon SLR to manual-focus and it falls back to center-weighed metering, if I remember correctly.

Someone managed to change the screen of their D70 to replace it with a split-prism screen appropriate for manual focusing.

Higher-end bodies will give you more flexibility in terms of focusing screens, (on the Nikon side) in terms of which lenses you can use, (on the Canon side) in terms of wide angles thanks to their larger sensors.

how much do you want to spend? without a doubt, the D70 is the best bang for the buck, comes with a huge 30 year choice of lenses, and the best flash system, over canon. if you want to spend a huge amount of money for great 3200iso noise results, go with the canon MKII. for the price of the D70 and what you can do with it, you wont lose a dime. the d20 is a great camera, but released too soon and too many are being returned to canon. and the flash sytem sucks on canon, big time.

"30 year choice of lenses"

This isn't quite true. Nikon's first AF camera (and therefore their first CPU lens) was released in 1986 (ignoring the edge case of the F3AF), and current Nikon consumer SLRs (including the D70) don't meter with non-CPU lenses, the oldest of which is 18 years old. Yes, you can use the lenses without a meter, and yes, some lenses can be modified to include a CPU that allows the meter to work. But no lens older than 18 years will provide a good out-of-the-box experience.

On the other hand, Nikon's non-G AF lenses work fine with all Nikon bodies made in the last 25+ years, and with an easy modification can be used all the way back to the original 1959 F (and if you have a body without a meter the modification isn't necessary).

you can still use them, so they're still a choice. of course you can't use a manual focus lens in af mode, nor will it meter. but i still use them, still a choice. use the lcd and a few test shots. half the leica users here don't have a meter in the camera at all...And how many mounts does canon have again?

Pentax *istD has the same sensor as the Nikon D70, but it will meter with

Pentax lenses going back forty years or more. It's much more compact than

the Nikon. Much closer to the M6 in size and feel. Marc Williams initiated a

thread about it a year ogo or so. Pentax lenses are second to none in optics

and coatings. You can get outstanding bokeh and great flare resistance at a

reasonable cost.

On the other hand, Canon is undoubtedly the industry leader in DSLR

cameras. The 20D seems to be a great camera. And Canon IS lenses are

unmatched for sports shooting and other similar applications.