Seeking Bessa R3a user experiences

Hi Scott - yeah, I've gone through two already. One was an electronics problem that I

still can't figure out (the shutter just wouldn't release one morning) and the other

one's rangefinder went out of alignment when I bumped it into a chair. Other users

are quite happy with theirs though. It's light and simple but I'm a little skeptical on

the build quality at the moment. The finder's great, VF readout simple (shows your

shutter speed at the bottom), and you've got AE if you need it. If you treat your cams

gently (obviously, I don't), then go for it. For the price, it's a sweet deal. I'm through

w/ em for right now though.

Oh OK. I thought you meant the green ones were better built or something!

I cant stand the look of green cameras (or yellow or pink etc) they look semi-militaristic and a bit 'weekend soldier'. ("They help me to blend into the foliage when I am pretending to be a war correspondent")

I've had mine for a few weeks now and have put 4-5 rolls through. It's worked perfectly and beautifully. The exposure has been spot on (with the handy AE lock easily accessible and useable) and the RF patch is in perfect alignment vertically and horizontally. Only complaint would be that the 40mm framelines are a bit difficult to see with glasses on. (I've used the 40 Nokton, 90 Elmar and 135 Nikkor LTM on it). Other than that it's a very nicely built, light-weight camera with very good ergonomics, IMHO. Does not have the feel or quietness of an M3 (which I also have) but then again in many ways is easier to use. And while not as quiet as a Leica (what is?) it's by no means loud.

I have had my R3A for about a month and have had no problems whatsoever with it. I have already run about 10 rolls of Fuji Neopan 400 through it. It focuses just fine and the exposure meter has pretty much been dead on. I also got the 40mm MC lens too and it also has performed very well. The readout in the finder is easy to see except whenever I put on the lens hood for the 40mm lens, it tends to block out a few of the shutter speed numbers unless I tilt my head to one side or the other. Other than that the camera has been a joy to use. I wear glasses so the 40mm frame lines are very hard for me to see without really straining, but for the type of street photography I do, that is not that big of a problem. The biggest problem I have had is getting diopters for the camera. It accepts diopters made for the Nikon FA, FM3A, etc. I finally got one from B&H and one also off ebay. I also own an R2 and I am really enjoying the R3A because of the auto exposure which makes my street shooting just a little faster. The 1:1 viewfinder is excellent and it is great being able to shoot with both eyes open. Hope this helps.

I have an R3 - and a semi-militaristic olive green R2 that I like quite a bit.

I'm very well used to the R2 so the R3 was not a huge change for me. VF alignment was fine and everything has functioned normally thus far - no mechanicals to speak of. As far as the camera body goes, they are essentially the same camera.

The 1:1 has taken some getting used to. The idea is that you can focus with both eyes open - easier said that done if you've focused with one eye closed all your life. It takes some time to get used to it. The 40 framelines are way out there and you need to have your eye fairly centered or you'll lose a frameline or the readout below. Obviously, that's only an issue with the 40.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it and can't think of any reason why I wouldn't recommend it to you. Some tidbits that I've learned - any kind of softrelease and the $40 CV side grip are worthwhole accessories. If the 35mm length is important to you, wait for the R2a or get a used R2 - the 40mm fills the entire VF in the R3 and you won't be able to use the outer edges of the VF to approximate a 35.

Hope that helps.

<p>I've never used the R3a so perhaps shouldn't comment. However, I am

used to the Canon P (1.0 finder) and the Bessa R, and as it happens I

looked through the R3a and fired its shutter in a shop yesterday, for

what very little that's worth. All I can say is that (i) the 40mm framelines

are impossible for me, wearing specs really high up on my nose (I never

use 35mm on my P either); (ii) the noise is hardly any less than that of

the R.</p><p>I'd be delighted if somebody gave it to me, but then I think

I'd use it for 50mm and 75mm only. But come to think of it I might train

myself to keep both eyes open and guesstimate 35mm -- I ought to be

able to do that with the P.</p><p>Now, if you like quality with a capital

K, quiet operation, a 1.0 finder (though with RF issues), and

independence from batteries, and don't mind the lack of an exposure

meter (let alone AE) or an M-mount, consider an old P -- prices here

(Tokyo)

seem to be falling again.</p>

> Scott McLaughlin said: "These comments make me widh that I had picked up a green R2 when I had the chance. . . A nice chrome finish like my M6 would be even better."

Scott, the Rollei 35 RF would be a nice option for you to consider - chrome finish, looks great with my chrome 50 Summicron. Selling for $599 at either B&H or Adorama, same price as Stephen Gandy is selling his last couple of R2's. You can still find the black R2's in a few places for $549, so are you getting any more with the Rollei? A little - a 2-year manufacturer's warranty, deluxe camera strap included, &, of course, a body finished to match chrome lenses. B&H, for example will give you a one year store warranty & any CV dealer will charge you an extra $25 for a deluxe Voigtlander strap.

The Rollei is essentially a silver-finished, special edition R2 with 40/50/80 mm framelines. So if you're interested in the new 40 Nokton, it works well on this body. In fact, the good news is that since the 35 RF has the .7x magnification of the R2, the 40 mm framelines are much more viewable than on the R3A. I have no problem even with glasses.

• 1 year later...

The R3A is the third Bessa I've owned (after R, R2). I have to say each model gets a little bit better than the former but the quality of construction of these cameras is still wanting (I've continued to buy the Bessas mainly because they are light weight, small & inexpensive).

The R3A is a definite improvement on the R2- the film rewind mechanism for example. However, I have had a frightening problem with the shutter release NOT FUNCTIONING (So much for the decisive moment, eh!). I'm interested if other R3A owners have experienced this problem. (Unfortunately, Cosina, the company that makes the Bessa, has not been responsive when I have contacted them directly about problems with their previous products [the R, R2].)