Lacie 500GB extreme D2 firewire 400/800 ?

beeman458

Kieran?<p>

Couldn't find the 250gig HDDs at Costco. Could you post a link please.<p>

I'm checking out <a href="http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20040823/index.html">Tom's Hardware </a>to see what he has to say on USB 2.0/1394a or b firewire I/O cards as there are several manufactures of the little buggers; SIIG, Adaptec and a couple of off brands which I don't recognize.<p>

I've been told, as advice in the past, to stay with "A" list companies as they, supposedly, will spend the monies to confirm and fix conflict issues; "before" they put the product on the market:)<p>

I use a program called HDD Health to monitor my drives. It works with any drive using S.M.A.R.T. technology. Right now my primary drive is sitting at 31 C and my secondary drive is at 29 C.

If I'm working on the PC and have the case open, the drive temperatures steadily go up, showing the need for efficient cooling.

I think HD Health is like $20 but there should be free programs for that. However My ull out racks provide me with much more for aboutthe same price.

You should have a problem with the stuff from monoprice.com I have ordered with them before. returning things should not be needed but will not be difficult if needed.

The hard drives were in store... Well I think that was the price anywy... Other places show $180 of course..

Places I go.

ehay.com (you know what I mean)

monoprice.com

newegg.com

buy.com

froogle.com

bestbuy.com

Bob/Kieran.<p>

Currently checking out what <a href="http://www20.tomshardware.com/storage/20030402/index.html">Tom's Hardware </a>has to say about Maxtor/Western 250GB drives.<p>

Now I'm reading that the Western is the better way to go as it has an adapter card onboard cause the older boards won't support the size. It just doesn't seem to wanna stop as to the need to know,..... prior to getting out of bed.<p>

For the USB 2.0/1384 firewire PCI card, I'll go with an <a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020614/index.html">Adaptec, Duo Connect</a> as this seems to be the hot setup for this sort of adapter I/O PCI card.<p>

I harken back to comments of yore. I just wanted to be a photographer as I neither wanted to be an artist nor a computer geek:)<p>

I'm not a fan of Toms Hardware, there's better sites, but...<br><br><i>I use a program called HDD Health to monitor my drives. It works with any drive using S.M.A.R.T. technology. Right now my primary drive is sitting at 31 C and my secondary drive is at 29 C.<br><Br>

If I'm working on the PC and have the case open, the drive temperatures steadily go up, showing the need for efficient cooling.</i><Br><br>I use the same program and really like it. Free is a good thing too.