Which prime lens do you use?

min_wong1

Hi! I am going to purchase a prime lens and I want to hear about

your recommandation. I will use this lens for landscape and portrait

as well as a walk around lens. I alreay own a 17-40 F4 and 70-200

IS. What should I add next to my collection?

Thank you!

Is this on a 1.6x camera or full frame? Looks like you're missing maybe the 50 f1.8 or f1.4... although it could be a bit long for a walk around/landscape lens if you have a 10D or 20D. My main prime is the 35/f1.4, it's almost always on my 10D when I'm indoors.

Well, that depends on your needs, and on your camera. Is it an APS-C size DSLR or a full frame SLR? I suppose most people will recommend the 50/1.4 (or 50/1.8). On a full frame body, the 85/1.8 might be more suited for portraits, or, if you really want to spend a lot of money, the 85/1.2L.

This is a difficult question to answer since we don't know your tastes and preferences. Do you like wide angle, normal, or medium telephoto field of view? Do you have a full frame of sub-full frame camera? Do you prefer shooting in low-light, or with flash?

Personally, I don't shoot much wide angle, and prefer a little reach on my lens, so the 50 1.4 or 50 1.8 are perfect for me on my 10D or 20D. If I use my EOS 3, I put the 85mm 1.8 on my camera.

On my 33V the 35mm f2 is probably my favourite 'serious' lens. Here are some

examples taken with it recently:

http://www.tomburke.org.uk/totley_mono.html

Next to that I would put the 50mm f1.8 Mk II, then a 100mm f2, and then a 24mm f2.8. So

I'm biased towards the wideangle end of things.

I'm not too bothered about super-speed lenses, so I'm not concerned about having the

faster w/angle lenses.

I use a 28/2.8 as a small and light walkaround, it's a 45mm equiv on my 300D and cheap too. I would have and probably will at some point, gone for the 35/2 (55mm equiv) if I could even find one in Toronto, B&H has it for about USD$200- but it's over CDN$400- here.

The 50/1.8 is great for portraits, and is even cheaper.