richard_zevnik

I am building a small Nikon manual focus SLR kit. I presently

have an FM2n, but am interested in adding a metered F2. From

what I have been able to learn, I am leaning toward either an F2A

or F2AS. I would be interested in hearing actual users'

preferences between the two. One thing I read was that the

F2AS' low light metering sensitivity is better. True or false, or

inconsequential?

Richard check for a paperback on amazon or mabey ebay by moose peterson "NIKON SYSTEM" handbook.I have two copies 1991 print and the 5th addition 1998 print.this is a very informative nikon book and will answer all your questions and a lot more. I had alot of the same ?s and now i can find most things in these books,good luck

I have several F2AS bodies I use, and one F2 Photomic that mostly sits. I prefer the meter display of the later body, but that's mostly a personal thing. If you're comfortable with the display of your FM2n, you'll find the F2AS a very natural fit. If you're looking for a more analog / retro experience, you may favor the F2A.

While I am aware of the extended lower metering range of the F2AS, I rarely use it. Shooting mostly handheld or off a monopod, once you get down below ISO 800 - f/1.4 - 1/8th sec I'm not making much use of the meter. If you're into night cityscapes on tripods, your mileage will vary.

In actual use in low light situations I prefer the F2AS not so much due to the increase in EV ( which it has ) but because the meter uses leds rather than a traditional needle meter. The LEDS are easier to read in low light. The F2a requires that the ambient light be shining from the top of the camera to light the meter. This type of lighting is not always presnet in low light situations.

The F2AS also has a meter light to light the meter at any time. Depending upon condition the F2AS meter runs about $100-$150 more than the F2A meter.

To me the F2A is more analogue and the F2AS is more digital. I find the needle meter of the F2A more intuitive and faster to work with. The range of the needle in the very center box is + or - one stop. Light sensitivity has never been an issue, and I shoot predominantly natural light. It seems to me it will boil down to personal preference. Are you a digital or analogue watch person?

I think that if you like the FM2n finder display, you will love the F2AS display because the meter, shutter and aperture information is all displayed at the bottom of the frame where you can assimilate it all at once. The FM2n puts these three bits of information on three different sides of the frame, forcing you to look around to see them all.

Be aware that the DP-11 finder of the F2A contains a "ring resistor" that is prone to failure (it wears out over time, I believe, causing the meter needle to become jumpy). Apparently replacements are not available short of cannibalizing another finder. You can check the archives and the web for more on this. The DP-12 finder of the F2AS does not have a ring resistor so that's one less thing to worry about. That being said, the ring resistor in the DP-11 is supposedly the best and longest lasting version--better than the ones used in the DP-1 and DP-2.

Richard - there is one more option, the DP-3 finder. An F2 body with this finder is called an F2SB. The finder was only made for a year or so and is considered kind of rare. It has LED readouts. The finder was promoted as having better low light capabilities than the DP 1 or 2; that advantage was probably eclisped by the DP 11 and 12. I have an F2SB, but I don't use it. Got it in an "unused" condition, but without a box or paperwork. It's part of a very modest Nikon collection I have.

The Nikon F2As (DP-12) has silicone photo diode meter cells,

one on each side of the eyepiece. Thats all I needed to

known. The meter is fast, accurate and all the Nikons Ive

owned with Silicone Photo Diodes are tightly calibrated. Back

then, 1978, SPD cells were called silicone blue cells or SBC

cells. The F2A uses Cds cells (cadmium disulfide cells) with

their slower response and memory problems. They remember bright

light which can cause metering errors. The DP-12 has a very

useable finder illuminator with a sliding switch located on the

top of the DP-12, easy to find with your eye in the camera, easy

to use. The F2As and FM2/FM2n use the same ruby red diode meter

indicators which I find very easy to use in the evening. For

example I prefer the F2As and FM2n in the evening to the FE2. <br>

<br>

Ive own two Nikon systems with lots of changes of course.

The first had a Nikon F2 (DE-1) and Nikon F2 Photomic (DP-1, Cds).

The second started with two Nikon F2As(s) and finally an F2A (DP-11)

which as planed I traded for a DE-1 and cash. I still own one of

my Nikon F2As(s) and wish Id kept the other.<br>

<br>

Here are some links to Photography in Malaysia...<br>

<br>

<a

href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/prisms/dp12/index.htm"

target="_new"><u>Nikon F2AS Photomic Finder DP-12 - Index Page</u></a><br>

<br>

<a

href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/prisms/dp11/index.htm"

target="_new"><u>Nikon F2A Photomic Finder DP11 - Index Page</u></a><br>

<br>

<a

href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/slrmain5979.htm"

target="_new"><u>A Pictorial History...1959 to 1979</u></a><br>

<br>

This users preference is the F2As without hesitation. <br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

• 7 years later...