Digital novice question - don't yell!!!

I've only had 1 small digital camera (1.3Megapix) and many many normal

35MM cameras in my life (all Pentax or Olympus). I'm seriously

considering a Canon Digital Rebel. I went to the local retail store

and can get the camera for about $1K. HOWEVER - in the past I have

had good experience with ebay.

I feel a little guilty at times about ebay but my $$ IS the bottom line.

P.S. looking at the post it almost looks like a spam or something -

it's not REALLY. Just seeing if I'm being taken.

On ebay I can get this deal for $1,329.95 (see comment's)

Canon EOS Digital Rebel (picture has 18-55mm lens but not sure if I

get that)

20-80mm Sigma Profesional Lens

5x high resolution professional wide angle lens (???? what's this

anyway - I know what a wide angle lens is but this is odd looking)

70-300mm Sigma Profesional Lens

High Resolution Professional Filter Kit

1GB Compact Flash Memory Card (512 is standard isn't it?)

High Speed Transfer USB Compact Flash Memory Card Reader

5 Piece Camera & Lens Cleaning Kit

Compact Tabletop Tripod (don't need)

55" Photo / Video Tripod(don't need)

All Aluminum Hard Case (call me a geek - this is cool)

Deluxe Camera Case

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43454&item=3856609078&rd=1

TO ME - this seems like a sweet deal. Am I being taken? Is there

something I'm missing?

I'm very open to suggestions. Positive and/or negitive.

Rod

Looks like a bunch of crap you don't want / need. I think you'd be much better off buying the Rebel and two lenses under the current Canon rebate promotion. You could get the Rebel, the 17-40 f4 L and the 70-200 f4 L for about $1500 after rebates. You'd want to sink another $100 into memory cards. Much better value for your money IMO.

STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY!

This auction is intended for someone who doesn't know anything about digital photography. With exception to the camera itself, every item in the package is GARBAGE. You could easily assemble the same kit yourself for the same or perhaps even less money.

The two ?proffesional? (yes, that?s how they spelled it) lenses are:

Some unspecified CHEAP sigma consumer 70-300mm zoom for NIKON???? Even if that was a typo, it?s not worth more than $200.

Sigma 28-80mm (or is it a new, yet to be announced 20-80mm??) zoom - worth $50 - $100 (depending on which one).

You also get:

1GB CF card ? probably worth $70

Card reader - $15

Wide angle ADAPTOR (not lens) ? probably worthless

Random filters of unknown size or quality

Tripod of unknown quality

Soft carrying case - $20

Hard case ? unknown value

Lens cleaning kit - $10

He's trying to take advantage of somebody and unload a bunch of crap. That'w why nobody had bid. You can do MUCH better putting together your own kit. If you're on a tight budget, start with the Digital Rebel and the 18-55mm kit lens. It's cheap, and really not that bad. You can always sell it later for at least $50.

THAT is why I asked you guys. I am humbled by the pictures (I have a few that might get up there in the ratings but...) and am starved for information.

Thanks - it seemed . . LOL - to good to me true.

You should see what I was offered when I called with questions IF I BUY RIGHT NOW!

I'll stay away.

By the way, although the Tamrom AF28-300MM F/3.5-6.3 XR Di is "specified for use with digital SLR cameras", it's probably not the best lens for the Digital Rebel. If you get the kit lens, you won't need the wide end of the zoom. And, in fact, it will probably not be wide enough for you - you'll still have to put on the 18-55mm for your wide shots. At the long end, the optical quality won't be that good.

How about this for starters (from B&H):

Digital Rebel with kit lens - $870 w/shipping

Canon 70-200mm (110 - 320mm equivalent) f/4.0 L - $592 w/shipping

1GB high speed CF card - approx $100

MINUS $250 in rebates.

Total = $1312

Now that's a KILLER starter kit for a dang fine price!

Well, you like the aluminum case (MSRP 149.95)? Go to Home Depot and buy one for about $25. Customizable foam and all.<p>$149.95 retail value for the tripod? More like $30.<p>The $349 wide angle lens is a joke, those kinds of things sell for $25-75.<p>High resolution filter kit? What on earth does that mean? Their quoted $149 value could buy you several very good name brand filters.<p>$69 value card reader? More like $25, tops.<p>At least the CF card is compared to a reasonable $99 value. I saw one auction for a basic (not fast) 1GB card claiming retail value of $499.<p>Those particular cheap Sigma lenses are also horribly overvalued by the seller. You want Sigma? B&H has a 2 lens Sigma kit for $239, with a better range of focal lengths (18-50mm and 55-200mm) You wouldn't like the auction's 70-300 over 200mm anyway.<P>As stated before, everything but the camera is garbage. You could piece together the same kit for the same or less money at local stores. By shopping carefully online, you could get <i>much</i> better gear for the same total.<p>As suggested, with Canon's triple rebate going on now (in USA), that price can buy the Digital Rebel and a couple of good Canon lenses. Buy slowly, and buy quality.

<em>If you still have Pentax lenses, you could wait for the newer Pentax Digital *ist, which is less expensive than the original model. That certainly would reduce your costs.</em>

<p>

Having used the *ist D (for a short while, it was not mine) I would recommend purchasing the less expensive *ist DS as well. At the very least you should look into it. No reason to wait, it's available for purchase. The *ist D is a nice camera. As I'm not a Pentax glass guy, I don't know how many of the older lenses will work on this camera. However, the Pentax website spells it out:

<p>

<em><b>Use your existing PENTAX 35mm lenses and accessories. The *ist DS offers the outstanding benefit of lens interchangeability that allows users to take advantage of a wide selection of existing PENTAX interchangeable lenses. (PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF- and KAF2-mount 35mm-format lenses can be used without an adapter or modification. PENTAX screw-mount 35mm-format lenses and PENTAX 645- and 67-system lenses can be used with an adapter. Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.)</b></em>

Not every seller on ebay is horrible - I just sold my Drebel on ebay, 18-55/75-300, battery grip, battery, 256 cf card on ebay for 850 and its in good condition...just be careful, yes that does sound a little too good to be true. You should be able to find (in the US) a digital rebel body and kit lens (18-55) for less than $1000, the bottom may fall out from under the Drebel soon. I wouldn't be surprised for prices more around $750 or even $600. Not including the rebate. As for CF cards and accessories I tend to stay away from "kit deals" they put more stuff you don't want or need in them. A few minutes online and you can find a 1Gb CF card for $80 ultra or not. L lenses well, we aren't so lucky there. Build your own kit, you'll be happier and like you said your money is, well your money!

The Sigma DC pair 18-50mm and 55-200mm work really well on my 10D, and as said above, sell from B&H for $239.00. They are especially compact lenses compared to the standard 35mm lenses. You could get a Drebel and those and be all set (for starters) for considerably less money than the ebay deal.