Criticism and creativity

The photographers I enjoy most are the ones who try not to say anything definitive moments before exposing their subjects to light but whose creative process allow their finished photographs to speak eloquently for them and they through their photographs. They have some general idea preceding the event yet are able to respond to the moment (and the subject!) and are not so wedded to the moment of exposure as to prevent an idea from evolving until they feel ready to present it. And they are so too stubbornly wedded even to that as to prevent their responding flexibly to criticism.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"By the way, Mr Harvey Platter, who "rarely understands criticism" has rated 1101 photos with a 4.1/4 average!) "

Are you congratulating me because, when I did bother to rate pictures, my average matched the Photo.net average, complaining for the same reason or just making a comment?

I don't see rating pictures as anything other than declaring how much I, personally, like the image. I gave up doing it for the same reason most people give up around here, I just got tired of the abuse from people who expect everyone to agree with their opinions.

Just thought that there was a contradiction: for someone who "rarely understands criticism", over 1ooo photos rated shows quite a passion for criticism. Also, an average of 4 stands for someone thinking about himself as very qualified, an expert I would say.

By the way, "when I did bother to rate pictures" goes in the same direction, IMO.

Before rating a 2 or a 3, I would stop and think for a second if I am qualified enough to do it.

Is then 4 a declaration of how much one likes a photo? :)

It's nothing to do with being "qualified". Photo.net invites people to rate pictures to

provide a ranking for selecting pictures for display. There's no passion involved in

spending a few bored Sunday afternoons flicking through the images and clicking a

mouse. And the average probably reflects the nature of the pictures I happened to look at

- guess what? Some I liked, some I didn't and a lot seemed pleasant enough.

A bit like life in general, then....

Wham! walking down a dark alley, thinking about all of yada above, I suddenly tripped and fell on my face, Slowly picking myself up in the darkness, I realized I had tripped over a body. As I painfully straightened myself out, looking at the tears in my trousers, I realized my camera had hit the ground as well, and as I shook it, various loose parts rattled around inside and the front lens element fell out, tinkling down into the raingutter. The sleeping party grunted and mumbled something and I realized that I was AZ......(Oops..this about photography, sorry)

• 4 months later...

oh, so that's what it looks like. i have only seen the signs from the freeway.

this is an old thread...hey whatever happened to Z aka Bailey Seals? possibly she was picked up by the mothership for the trip home (~_") or maybe just a humongus surgery schedule.