Best School

kurt_remington

Kurt,

I've heard that The Brooks Institute of Photography is a very good school. Also, in

Canada, Ryerson is considered a very good school too.

Lastly, Langara College (Vancouver, British Columbia) has a great reputation... Google

Langara College for their course guide and look for the Photo Imaging Department.

Good luck.

Cheers

I can only speak for one school... Brook's Institute in Santa Barbara. A superb

program (and location) geared directly at commercial preparation, with a

large number of highly successful grads. As far as 4x5 goes, you'll learn how

to turn the camera into the proverbial pretzel... but know EXACTLY what's

going on while you are doing it.

I applied to go to Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara CA. If you are going into commercial photographing, this is the school you will want to go too.

Contact them right away, and request for them to send you the new student package with the DVD.

The school is VERY expensive. About 22,500.00 a term to go there. (It may have gone up thought) Also, add the cost of living in Santa Barbara to that and it will be close to 32,000.00 a term. Multiply that cost by how many years you will have to go there and the number will so large your head will spin.

I recommend getting tons of Fin. Aid and scholerships.

I am going to University Of Arizona (Center Of Cretive Photography)now to recieve my BFA in photography. After I am done here, I might do one term at Brooks to recieve my Masters of Photographer.

Goodluck,

Ryan McIntosh

www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Kurt, with 2 years under your belt, the reasons to go further is to teach... Master Degree (4 more years of school for you). There are some good Museum schools in the Boston area that offer Masters programs but your portfolio has to be juried. I personally went to RISP in Providence. It was an exellent school and my thoughts (still is my opinion) are that unless you are wanting to get into teaching, a degree isn't necessary... we, as photographers, are judged on our abilities/imagination and are only as good as our last image! When I was in my second year at RISP, there were 5 people who transfered over from RIT. After the first month, they couldn't keep up and slid accordingly. Two of the people were extremely creative but in these days of the client wanting it immediately, the training/pace at RISP helped me alot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Brooks is the name that comes to mind immediately, simply because so many leading lensmen have honed their skills here...the only negative is the fee. It's closer to 46,000 USD per year, including stay and material cost. So you'll need to arrange for scholarships, grants financial aid. Brooks doesn't give scholarships themselves, so it make life difficult, especially for prospective non U.S. students.