Different lens hood for digital?

Since a lens of 35mm focal length used on a DSLR is roughly

equivalent to a 50mm standard lens on 24x36 format, can I safely use

a standard 50mm lens hood in that situation rather than the 35mm

lens's own wide-angle hood? Seems obvious that the answer is yes

but I have learnt not to take anything for granted.

Canon's ES-65 hood (for TS-E 90mm & EF 50mm/1.8 Mk I) works fine on a Canon EF 35mm f2 mounted to a 1.6 crop body.<p>Someone said you can even use the ET-65 telephoto hood without vignetting, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself.

Yes, you would be able to use one of Nikon's 50mm lens hoods on one of Nikon's 35mm focal length lenses, used in conjunction with a Nikon DSLR:

http://www.geocities.com/rick_housh/camera/nikon/lenshoods.html

I have a 28mm f/1.4 AFD lens. When I use it on my D100s, I add a Nikon HN-20 hood for the 85mm f/1.4 AIS lens (on top of a Nikon L37c UV filter). There is no vignetting:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=37602&is=REG

Nikon's screw-in hoods have have shallow, lame cuts. Hence, the ability to use a hood for an 85mm lens on a 42mm equiv. lens.

Yes, you can use deeper lens hoods to match the field of view. Finding ones which are

convenient and appropriate is often a pain in the neck. I just use the standard hoods, they

seem to do a good enough job although they're not optimal.

Godfrey

As a former long-time user of the Hasselblad medium format system, I learnt the

value of a good lens shading system many years ago. My favorite was the Blad

conpendium system that featured an adjustable bellows-type shade that could be

precisely set for a variety of focal lengths.

I'm really surprised that an enterprising photo specialty firm (like RRS or Kirk) hasn't

jumped in to offer a system like this for the DSLR systems out there.

Take my situation for example. I have both 1.6x-crop and 1.3x-crop camera bodies

and may someday get a full-frame body. To get a truly perfect lens shading, any lens

would require at least three different hoods, and that's assuming the lens is a prime.

But with a conpendium-type shade the coverage could easily be adjusted to match

whatever lens is in use (and what focal length is set on a zoom). For the

manufacturers, this would ensure robust sales because every lens would then require

whatever kind of adapter is needed to mount the conpendium shade. So, a

photographer has five lenses, he or she would need the shade and five adapter rings.

Any thoughts from you users on this? As for me, I'd buy into a system like that in a

heartbeat.

Even in film days, I had a telephoto lenshood on my 50mm f2.0 and a standart hood on the 35mm f2.8 without vignetting. Now a 3step hood covers my 35-80 all the time in telephoto position. I wish there where narrower hoods for digital on the market. If you go shopping take your camera and lenses with you to try stuff out. Get the tightest hoods available; sometimes you might need them and the industy loves to let us down.

Mike,

I hear what you're saying, but speaking for myself and other pros who are likely to

encounter flare problems with high-key studio setups, a good compendium hood

would be worth the extra trouble.

Mostly I'd see it being useful with a prime lens for portrait when a light background is

lit separately or when separation or hair lights are just out of the image area.

And if you think about it, even the best-designed standard lens shade/hood is not as

efficient as the folds in a bellows-type at baffling out and killing the stray light that

can pull the contrast from such a high-key shot. Also, because we're using lenses with

larger image circles than the sensor area requires, the need for an efficient shade is

even more important, IMO.

I already own a bellows-compendium hood for my 6x7 medium format Bronica camera. It comes with 3 adapter rings to fit 72mm, 82mm and 95mm lens threads.

In landscape photos with my Nikon 35mm film format camera, or studio type work, I simple use it with appropriate step-up rings, e.g. 52 to 62 and 62 to 72mm stacked step-ups. Also I have a cut-out mask that fits in the front slot of the bellows to change the masking from 6x7 format (1:1.25) to 35mm format (1:1.5). I adjust the bellows visually using the viewfinder image stopped down to the smallest aperture, then back off a little for safety margin to avoid vignetting.

Sure it is more trouble and very bulky, but for critical high-flare back-lit tripod shots, the bellows are superb on any camera, and with 67 to 72mm step-up rings can be used on my Nikon D70 digital camera with kit lens.

A good hood is simply a good hood on any camera!

Mike