I'm thinking of buying a Leica Digital Camera

Are you interested in learning how to scan or print in a wet darkroom? If the answer is "no" to

both, start with a digtal camera. Like doign anything else well, there is a learning path for

digital photography that you 'll have to travel. here are some useful resources.<P>

Epson , Canon, Adobe and Nikon all sponsor various traveling seminars. These will help you

learn to getthe most out of your new camera. I also highly recommend the following book <A

HREF = http://tinyurl.com/qe6sl> Real World Digital Photography, second edition</a> to my

beginning and intermediate level digital photography students.

It's important to know what you intend to do with this camera. All the Leica Digitals are made by other companies; the new ones all by Panasonic. They are decent cameras, but certainly are not comparable to Leica film cameras in any way. I prefer Leica's M series film cameras, you can get a camera and lens used for around $800.... using it will enable you to learn much more about photography than a point and shoot Leica digital. If you just want a camera for snapshots, and aren't obsessed with the brand (leic many) get something else, more affordable.

Thank you for you answers.

I'm interested in Leica because of the quality of the lenses. The digital versions seem to be very cheap which attracts me. The older film cams are also interesting and scanning also seems a good option. I'm seriously thinking of buying a Panasonic digital with a Leica lens.

Others will disagree, but I think it's silly to buy a Panasonic digital because it has a "Leica" lens on it. It's a bit like buying a Samsung digital because of the Schneider lens. For the most part, they are those companies lenses only by name. That doesn't mean that they are necessarily inferior, just that they are no better than there Canon or Nikon counterparts. If you really want Leica quality you must either go with a Leica made film camera, or the new Leica M8, which will use almost all the lenses that gave Leica the prestigious name they enjoy today.

If this purchase is being prompted by the pending arrival of a new baby or puppy, then the answer is almost certainly "digital"! And if this is the case, something like the D-Lux 3 ought to serve admirably.

Going the film route won't necessarily teach you much unless you shoot color slides or plan to do your own processing and printing. That's because most automated printers actually scan your negatives and make corrected digital prints, hence, they mask your mistakes.

Michael,

Every type (film/digital) of camera has its own personality. I use a Leica MP and look forward

to working with the M8. I have been recently been working with a "PanaLeica" and with it have

created images that I would not have been able to do so with the MP. My recommendation

would be to work with the PanaLeica and, if you like it, acquire a M8. You will probably end

up using both. PanaLeica photo attached.<div>00IKlq-32816684.thumb.jpg.243cb78c03312d39509176e9ec6d14f1.jpg</div>

Surely you're not suggesting that there are similarities between a "Panaleica" and an M8 which would lead a user of one to like the other (besides the name). I'm not saying that Panasonics are bad cameras, or that there lenses are inferior.... I just don't see how they relate to M cameras anymore than a Nikon Coolpix or Canon Powershot.

"Surely you're not suggesting that there are similarities between a "Panaleica" and an M8

which would lead a user of one to like the other"

James, I am. Both are digital. The digital workflow is entirely different from the darkroom and

this will give Michael the chance to see if he likes it. As I stated in my original post, "Every

type (film/digital) of camera has its own personality."

Michael,

"If they have the Leica name then they must be a Leica lens. How could they be anything else or am I missing something?"

A number of years ago Leica entered into a joint venture with Minolta and produce a fine little camera and lenses that went by different names but were identical: Leica CL, Leitz Minolta CL, and Minolta CL.

More recently Leica's Digilux 2 was nearly identical model from Panasonic, as mentioned, and both were made by Panasonic, to the best of my knowledge.

I'm into Leica vintage camera b/w film photography, and when it comes to digital I would strongly suggest looking at Canon, Nikon, Olympus and others whose prices are far more affordable. I double you would notice any quality difference.

when it comes to digital I would strongly suggest looking at Canon, Nikon, Olympus and others whose prices are far more affordable.

I think that used to be the case but since the link up with Panasonic prices are in line with other manufacturers. For instance you can buy a Panasonic DMC FXO1 for less than 200 gbp, 28mm zoom lens, full manual control,and 8 million pixies. If you buy PS elements and practice you skills you will produce prints which are as good as anything out there. If you want to pay more,why, they will even put a Leica badge on the body for you;)

I even of thinking of buying one for myself.