RD-1 & M lenses: First Blush Report

fotografz

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<I>...dont forget, digital is still a baby too...more to come</I><P>

That's the amazing part - how fast that technology has developed over such a relatively

short period of time. Leads to the notion the surface has just been scratched...

www.citysnaps.net

"pompous twit" Grant ?

No one gave me any money, I didn't inherit it, or win the lotto. I don't pay for my gear any

more, our clients do, just like every successful photographer I've ever hired to shoot for

my ad agency doesn't pay for their gear either... we do ... it's a line item fee included in

every estimate, and approved by the corporate client cost consultants that review those

bids. I've explained this to you before but it seems you're too financially

challenge to get it... so go see an accountant ... or not ... just trying to help a fellow artist

avoid funding the bottom line of major corporations instead of their own.

Question: One poster says this RD-1 has the D-70 sensor and another says it's the D-100.

Which is it, and where's the info that says which it is?

eric, the d100 sensor is different from the d70s, so thats incorrect...this cam came out before the d70 did....i'll find the link that mentioned the chip later..

<p><p>

marc, you work for clients, clients pay you dont they? thats the same as me working at mcdonalds who pays me to make their cheeseburgers and i go out and buy an epson...could i say mcdonalds paid for my camera then? if you wanna call it a writeoff thats fine, its still an item you paid 3000$ for that youre just taking off for tax purposes....

What's the big frigin deal how much marc spends on his equipment? This isn't some rich

arse buying a new toy, it's a fellow photographer who is successful, likes rangefinders and

can afford this new digi-finder. So what? <br>

More power to you Marc. <p>

Come on Grant, you work in NYC. You should know that most commercial shooters

charge an established fee for their photographic images based on use ... usually around

$5,000. to $7,500. per shot (even $10,000 or a lot more if the shooter is at the top of the

food chain) for national media, one year use depending on their level of talent and

demand for that talent.... and completely separate line items for expenses which includes

fees for studio rentals, assistants, stylists, location fees, lighting packages, and digital

capture fees (in leu of film and processing these days). $500. per day is not unusual for

digital capture. Hell, I even have to pay an extra $1,000 a day for a digital graphics guy to

process as we're shooting.

So, I started doing the same, and as a result have paid for all my gear for years now. I do

not do this for weddings which comprises about 30% of the photographic income from my

studio fotografz LLC. I get $200 per day rental for just the cameras. Figuring

depreciation, and resale in 2 years of the specific camera, I only need 5 jobs a year to

cover the difference for a 1DsMKII. Yes, you need the first up front investment, but I did

that with zero interest loans at first (Hasselblad), so by year two I was getting everything

free... in fact it's a small profit center these days because I have so much work.

Hardly Mc Donald's there Grant.,, but if you insist on a simplistic take on business and

making money for someone else that's your choice ... it sure the hell isn't mine anymore.

if they charge for a camera, its only as a rental. theres no way you are ever going to convince a client that they need to buy YOU a camera for the job theyre paying you already, and you get to keep the camera. just as you wont tell your wedding clients youre adding on 3k$ bc u need an epson digital cam to complete the wedding....same reason al didnt charge the newspapers to pay for his leicas...

<p><P>

believe me, id love for getty images to buy me all the latest greatest cams do their work for em, but it just dont work that way

"The forum fool" -LOL

Grant, no one said it wasn't in the form of rentals. That's what it amounts to, a charge to

use the gear over and above the photo fee. Expenses aren't part of the photographer's fee

because each job may require different gear, and props, stylists, location, and so on. If I

am the owner of the gear, I get the rental fee instead of a rental house getting it. The

rentals amount to enough to pay for the stuff. What the hell is so difficult to understand?

It's done all the time in all areas of business with all sorts of depreciable equipment ...

even buildings.

Merry Christmas