17-55 canon vs nikon

temi-tade

Does anyone shot both nikon and canon digital. I shoot nikon now (d50, 18-70, 50 1.4 and tokina 12-24).

I need a second body and can't decide whether to upgrade to a d80 and the 17-55 or to get a canon body

and the 17-55is. How much of a difference does the IS make. Any thoughts on canon bodies are also

appreciated.

That's a tough call. I think bodies are similar, but I tend to understand the Nikon layout a little better--probably from using them so long. It comes down to lens platforms for me. Canon has some great lenses I'd like to use: like the 85mm f/1.2. I'm kind of waiting to see what Nikon does with its lens line, and while I wouldn't "switch" to Canon, because there are so many great Nikkors I use, I might consider adding Canon to my system. I wish Nikon would keep up, but the consumer market has been too profitable for them.

Temi,

It doesn't make sense to me (with certain exceptions) to use two incompatible camera systems. A second body should back up or upgrade your current body. If you want to shoot Nikon, the D80 is, by all accounts, a great camera. If one camera goes down for whatever reason, you have another body that will take all of the same lenses while you get your "down" camera fixed. Carrying two systems is not practical for a lot of us.

I'm not up on the Nikon VR (vibration reduction) lenses since I shoot Canon. I think IS (image stabilization) makes a big difference and it has become very important to me in some of my shooting. You can borrow or rent a Canon body and a mid-focal range IS lens and see what you think.

As to your question about Canon bodies, I've used the D30/10D/20D/5D and think they are great cameras. I particularly like the two control wheels (top deck and camera back) for controlling exposure in manual or one of the automatic modes.

Jim