YOUR Photo of the Week

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like Grant's picture.

This crappola goes on all the time. A picture is posted and someone says it's "crappy". Does anyone have the ability to say WHY around here? And I don't mean "it's just a snapshot", but the aesthetic or technical reasons (looking at mine I see now that my dodging & burning was blotchy; it was a better pic before I started effing around with it-by the way; thanx to nobody for answering my request).

You can say what Tony said too: might as well critique a signature.

But I can't remember a single instance of "your photo sucks" on this forum being backed by a well reasoned criticism.

Seems to be an emotional reaction. Maybe that's valid, but it isn't of much use.

<i>the rest just seem like snap shots. what happened to composition? or rules

of thirds? (or whatever you call it) or anticipating for the right moment? or

croping the image properly? </i><P>

If those are the standards, it rules out about 98% of my stuff. Guess I'll have to

dig out my <i>Handbook of Proper Cropping</i> and start over . . .

Olivier I think you?re right, manners are important but they serve a limited purpose in a critique environment. Shock actually has value too, and some of us would rather hear three honest-but-rude comments than thousand insincere accolades. Far too many times on this forum (actually the entire site) crap images are praised for no other reason than people being not wanting to risk being offensive. I think it?s important to hear that your work just doesn?t say anything. That people aren?t ?getting? it. That it just sucks.

<P>

Normally I offer a compliment when I see something I really like. But Ray has a point and I?m starting to think it would be better for everyone involved if instead of us posting ?Nice shot? we I just said what we really felt, regardless of the fallout:

<P>

Travis, I love your image but Grant is right it is a bit over-processed for my taste. And lately it seems like you?re heading back to some of the minimalist subject matter you used to do (which I love) but you?re not giving enough attention to end product. It?s starting to look hastily Photo-shopped. Compare what you posted above <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/photo/1470183 ">to this image</A> to see what I?m talking about.

<P>

Ray just used shorthand (and FWIW, started the discussion).

<P>

-sp

I guess sp is having a point here. BTW, thanks for your comment. And for pointing my way to Travis' outstanding Personal Pics Folder, which I'm reproposing in its <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=292832">entirety</a>.

When I say "nice pic" I mean it, otherwise I keep my thoughts to myself. And, yes, it takes guts, knowledge AND sensitivity to make some *constructive* criticism, which at times is quite some investment. But it's the essence of why we are gathering here, ne c'est pas?

Thanks SP for your feedback.

As for my overly processed stuff, well, what can i say, i mean, i like high contrast, which is all i did in PS on triX negs. I could have burned the same in the DR and you still can't tell if it's PSed or not. Is too much contrast bad? It depends who you are showing to I guess. That's the way it works for me and i supposed that's all i needed to keep me going. Im just not attracted to flat stuffs. Some just hate it, which is fine. They are entitled to like anything they want.

Why do we show our work?? Is it to show what we see or to show what some would like to see? If you can't show what you like, is pleasing others any good?

I may not agree with Ray's assessment on this thread but he gets my nod for speaking up about the things he don't feel right.

Thanks Lutz too ;)

<I>"Is it to show what we see or to show what some would like to see?"</I>

<P>

Travis please, show what you see.

<P>

At least that's what I want to see from you (or anyone on this site). I've been around long enough to know about how much you admire Ralph Gibson's work and my comment stems from wanting to see your work rise to that level. It is absolutely not related to whether or not it was done through conventional processing or through PS. I couldn't care less about that choice. The bottom line is that your stuff truly inspires me. It's exactly in line with how I see things and I look forward to viewing it. I also think your confident enough in your vision that you can take an opinion for what it's worth.

<P>

I look at a lot of people's work here and some of it is inspiring and some I just don't "get". Ray has me thinking that maybe it's time to at least offer the appropriate comment.