YOUR Photo of the Week

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have anything worth posting. I could have posted something weak just to play I guess.

Admittedly, if you feel you just want to show what you happened to have done this week, I suppose there's nothing wrong with that. I'm allowed to tell you I think it's not worth much to my eye, though, aren't I? I mean, it's nothing personal, I produce plenty of crap myself. I just try to put it where it belongs- in the round file.

Ray, I think your sentiments are exactly what shouldn't be said here. This theme is to encourage the use and participation of camera and owner. Words of these may have the ill effect of discouragement to some. I'd rather see a week photo than no photo at all. I'd rather know a contributor is using their camera by posting a result, than assuming they are not active due to not participating. Just my thoughts.

Markus, you did post YOUR photo of the week, didn't you? My opinion is just my opinion.

Eric, I know what you're saying, but people don't aspire to anything either if they don't face a reality check once in awhile. Hobbyist? Fine. But even if you do it as a hobby, don't you want to do it as well as you can? Your photo means something to you regardless? Fine, it doesn't necessarily mean much to everyone else. People ought to face that fact at some point when they're posting on a public forum, it's an important thing to know.

I agree with Eric, Ray.

For those like me, who are rank amateurs, improvement will come through more photography and experimentation -- refinement of our eyes and improved shooting technique -- not more careful editing.

It's no help at all to have a better photographer sitting in front of his pentium grunting "sucks," "weak," "should consider not posting," etc. (These are all your words on this thread, Ray, not mine.)

Even when we post for criticism -- note that this is *not* a crit thread -- the dismissive put-downs aren't what we need.

It's not a crit thread, but I also don't see anywhere where people are denied expressing their opinon. Dismissive put-down is not of any person, but of photographs. If people want to share what they've done with anyone who happens along here they have to deal with whatever honest reaction comes with it.

If the work is just for your own satisfaction, why share it? I find dissatisfaction with my own work constantly, it hasn't stopped me from doing more and trying to do better.

I've had teachers who were capable of pretty severe "put-downs" of particular efforts, but they were still damn good teachers. If someone is going to permanently wilt in the face of criticism about their work, maybe they should be doing something else.

This weekly post is like turning in your homework. I just post what I think is the strongest I've shot all week, regardless of how it stands up against last weeks shot, or last month, or whether it is gallery quality or most importantly, how it stands in the thread amongst the other contributions. I have more respect for active shooters demonstrating such, each week, than I do for poseurs just tossing up their strong ones once in awhile. We're all capable of making poor and average work and I'm not shy to show it. I've seen some people get better here as well. That's more rewarding to witness than anything, for me.

Seems to me if you're showing someone else a photograph you should be asking yourself what they might be going to get from looking at it. Is it just the fact you used your camera this week and were able to get the thing in focus and exposed decently? Or is it about having something to convey, some tiny tid-bit morsel beyond the banal?