HC-110 - Which Dilution best for TRI-X ?

andy_sprauer

Which HC-110 dilution B,C,D,E would be best to develop Tri X 120 size

film exposed at 400ASA. I used to use D76 1:1 & was happy with the

results. I need to know the dilution ratio & time since I'm changing

to HC-110. These variables are throwing me a curve ball. I'm going to

have the developer temp at 68 degrees. A condensor enlarger will be

used. I'm familiar with the Convington site but need your tried &

tested input. Thanks for all you help.

IMHO - #B (1:31) has worked the best for me with Tri-X.

Not trying to steer you in a different direction, but HP5 seems to respond better to HC110 than Tri-X. Tri-X works in HC-110, but it's a utilitarian combination if you ask me. However, HP5 'glows' in HC-110. Please give it a try when you have the chance.

There really isn't much to add to Covington's site. The information there is reliable and matches my own results.

Years ago, when I was a photojournalist, I used Dilution B because it was quick. Development times were usually around 5 minutes depending on temperature.

However back then I wasn't as concerned about even development and consistency as I am now.

Based on the recommendations of other photo.netters I've since switched to Dilution H, which is simply twice as dilute as Dilution B. I develop for twice the time, again depending on temperature.

I've compared my current negatives with those from twentysomething years ago. They are virtually identical in every way: grain, contrast, tonal range.

The longer development time gives more margin for error. Pour times are less significant a factor. This should improve the odds of getting even, consistent results.

Also, the results are very comparable to Tri-X in D-76. So I have no need to keep yet another developer on hand. This suits me since I've found that D-76/ID-11 can produce variable results over the six-month period (at most) I'd typically keep a batch of stock solution before replacing it. Some formulations of D-76/ID-11 have been reported to vary in strength over a six-month period so I prefer the uniformity and longer shelf life of HC-110.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had good negatives with HC-110 B at Kodak's recommended times, also I've done what Ansel Adams wrote about in "The Negative". The newer version, where he used a more dilute version than B. But then, I've been using a diffusion colorhead to print with for the past 25 years or so...Jim