Nature workshops... worthwhile?

timothy_pastore

I would like to hear opinions on whether or not going on one of those

2day type of paid workshops with professional guides is worth while?

I do professional portraiture and weddings, and do some landscapes on

my own, but just in local places that I'm familiar with, and havent'

done a lot on my own. It seems the guidance of an experienced

veteran would be worth it, but would like to know what you all think?

Thank for any advice you can give

My experience with photo workshops is that you won't learn much directly from the workshop leader unless you are an inexperienced photographer. What they can be very good for, however, is getting you to places you wouldn't get to on your own, couldn't find, would'nt be open to you except as a memebr of an approved group, woudn't find out about even from guidebooks, etc. Guides often also know exactly the best times to be in certain locations, something that might be hit or miss for you, especially if your time in a location is limited. I'd call the leader of the workshop you are considering and ask him/her about specific locations and see if the workshop seems to offer what I'm talking about here.

Also, although I generally prefer to shoot alone, I must admit it's sometimes fun to be with like-minded people over a beer at the end of the day.

I've enjoyied the two I've been to. What I personally didn't appreciate was that these workshops (non-field)tended to be model-specific (generally Canon or Nikon)and there was a real push to sell gear. The former may be unavoidable, but if you happen to not have the model of equipment being discussed a lot of the information won't be directed towards you. That said, it is great to meet the artists and hearing how they approach subjects. I personally think a rank amature WON'T get much out of these workshops (at least not the two I went to)as they do assume that you have at least some nature/camera skills.

As usual, it depends

I've been to two Rocky Mtn. School of Photography workshops and the quality of instruction/help was first rate. The instructors gave as much or as little hands on help as you wanted, and somehow were always (well, nearly) available to look through the viewfinder and make suggestions. Help on outdoor metering was especially valuable

Caveat is: they were both five day workshops, with slides developed and critique/feedback given on the finished product. Not sure how a two day workshop could do this

Still, if you're coming from a mainly indoor/controlled light milieu, a workshop could be the way to go. See if they publish a fairly detailed itinerary/agenda to see if they instruct to your (perceived) weaknesses

I think the answer is "it depends". Currently an assistant for bird photo workshops by providing admin support, I have been on dozens of workshops and these experiences have been invaluable to me.

Part of the workshop is about the leader. Does this person know technicals as well as the creative side of image-making? How engaged are they with the individuals in the group? How large is the group? Many leaders specifically restrict group sizes to be quite small to ensure everyone gets ample attention. What is on the workshop agenda? What happens in inclement weather?

Part of the workshop is about the participant. Did they match that workshop to their specific needs and goals? Are they proactive about asking questions? Are they willing to give new information the benefit of the doubt, even if for just the few days of the workshop? On rare occasion there are participants who refute the lessons of the workshop, possibly due to ego or an unwillingness to go outside the comfort zone. Participants and instructors both need to be an active part of the learning process for the workshop equation to work.

On my first workshop (not as an assistant) I learned just about as much from the other participants as I did from the workshop itself. I photographed isolated for a year, not being near any of the photographic "hot spots" and during the workshop spent every waking moment I could conversing with the other participants. That experience was KEY to my advancement in photography. It is easier for me to learn by talking with others, seeing and doing, than reading books.

If considering taking a workshop, there are some things you can consider to help make the most of the experience.

Define what your goals are, both what photos you want to get out of the experience to help make the right choice for subjects, location and time, and what your personal objectives are with photography. Before a workshop we ask everyone what their goals are so we can be sure to address them during the workshop. Some examples are better use of flash (fill, balanced, main), finding and approaching birds, composition, birds in flight, etc.

Once you have found workshops that fit your photographic goals, find out about the teachers. Find someone who does work that inspires you! You could then correspond with them about their workshop, read testimonials, ask if there is a past participant or two you could contact to find out about their experience. Tell them about your goals and make sure those goals are a fit for their offerings.

Personally I think that just about anyone could benefit from a well-constructed workshop, as it can teach you about an area with which you are unfamiliar, provide learning opportunities on numerous levels, and can really stir up creativity. I just visited Bosque for the third year in a row and had visions of hundreds of more crane and snow goose shots in my files - not a bad objective but not the subjects I'm currently enchanted with, either. Looking for new ideas on my own and by interacting with others I took my Bosque experience in a whole different direction and was thrilled with the experience and results.

If you are looking for instruction on how to photograph your new subjects (nature), different from wedding photography, a workshop might be a worthwhile investment. Being an experienced photographer you will probably get a lot out of a workshop because you are already good at the technicals. If you are already comfortable photographing nature, finding and approaching wildlife/birds, then perhaps a "tour" might be more appropriate. A tour will not provide instruction but should take you to the right places at the right times for good photographic opportunities.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Nature photography is very different from wedding and portrait photography. Because you'll be learning a new specialty, I'd say it's probably a good idea that you take a well-reputed orientation class if you can afford it. People are an incredible resource, critiques are fantastic for learning, and you can learn about some locations and 'tips and tricks' if you have a good guide.

Good luck and have fun!

I've been on four. The first one the leader was a first-class prima donna with a over the top inflated ego and a huge case of Nikon obsession and, bad for me, I happened to have been using another brand so I was alternately ignored or ridiculed by the leader and the Nikon-using participants. The second one the leader also had brand loyalty and an inflated ego but neither of those were the major problem because I had done my homework and rented the "right" brand of equipment, and had learned from the previous workshop to never act like more than a rank beginner and you'll never set off the leader's ego. The major problem that time out was that the leader was attempting to double-dip: get paid for leading a workshop and shoot for his own stock at the same time. Guess which one he paid the most attention to? I won't reveal the names of those two leaders for legal reasons, so please don't ask. I will reveal the names of the leaders of the other two workshops: John Shaw and (the late)Galen Rowell. Two completely different personalities and backgrounds, but both excellent and patient teachers who could switch gears instantly to the levels of each participant without talking down or feeling challenged. So my experience is that it all depends on the leader. Personally I would avoid any workshop that is sponsored by a manufacturer or led by someone who is sponsored by a manufacturer unless it was free. My feeling is that they're there to sell cameras and lenses and the manufacturers should be paying for them from their ad budget. If I'm paying to learn photo techniques I want someone who doesn't have an agenda to "convert" me to a particular brand. Another thing I personally wouldn't bother with workshops in areas that are well-known and easily accessed, such as the hot birding spots in S. Florida or any of the national parks. I would go with a workshop to places that would be difficult to get to on my own, like the Falklands, Galapagos, maybe even Churchill. And I might point out there are photo _tours_ as well as workshops, where you get the an intinerary based on photographic interests rather than eating and shopping, but no actual technique teaching.

PS I should also mention that most of the workshops I've seen publicized lately have a decidedly digital slant. Perhaps partly this is a marketing strategy to breathe some new life into the workshop business, but I do not know how much, if any, one (like myself) who still shoots film, might be at a disadvantage on some of these workshops. I would certainly ask a lot of quesions before signing up.

Like others have said, it depends. I've been to several nature photo workshops. I've enjoyed, and learned, from most of them. Pick a location that you really want to photograph. That way, if you don't think the intructor does a good job, you will atleast get photos from a location that you enjoy being at. Some of the workshop instructors that I really liked (in no particulr order)are John Shaw, David Middleton, Willard Clay, Art Wolfe, and Rod Planck.

Short answer: No.

Unless...

If the workshop is in your own back yard where you will have access to similar flora and fauna, then maybe you can use the experience.

But, as has been stated above, it depends on the teacher.

In my experience, it really works best when taken in a similar environment in which you want to shoot. Shooting osprey on Captiva Island, FL, is not the same as shooting osprey on the Catawba River in Rock Hill, SC.

IMHO, roll up your pants and go slosh around in the local swamp. I do it most mornings and, to paraphrase, I don't need no stinkin' workshop.

Get out there and have fun!

I think "no," for most people. I did one once with a "famous pro", and was not at all satisfied. As an irony, few if any of the more well known photographers out there now selling "workshops" got started themselves by taking workshops. LOL!!! You get better the same way they did--experience. Go out and take some shots, study them, learn. One thing I've done that did help was find a LOCAL pro whose work I liked. I went out with a couple of these guys on a few Saturdays. The advantages are: (1) Learn to shoot the subjects I want in the same place I will be shooting them (2) It's all 1 on 1 time (3) Easy to schedule (4) Far cheaper, and you learn the same stuff.

I like Jim Brandenburg's photos, but there's just NO WAY my shots will look like his unless I work with him for a year! And even then. . . Save your money. Find good instructional tapes(DVD) to watch, read up on the subjects, and take an ART class on composition from your local continuing education school. Forget about spending $900 for a weekend some place far away to try to learn photography with a crowd. Finally, I find it even more laughable that many of these workshops are given by people who don't even live where they are giving the workshop! Learn photography at home, then find a LOCAL guy to take you to the best shots on your vacation. A lot cheaper, and you will get better shots. You will also likely learn more about the place you are visiting.

Kent in SD

I wholeheartedly agree with Gary's advice - make sure to communicate your personal expectations to the workshop instructor(s) before committing to anything. This will help both you and the instructor (after all a workshop is only successful if both sides are better for having done it). Having worked with a number of groups before, I can tell you even the most experienced guide can't always anticipate everyone's motivations. Some just want to come home with "keepers", some want to learn new techniques, some want to be taken to a good location and be left alone, etc.<br>

Allowing your instructor to prepare and make sure everyone's needs are met is invaluable. On occasion I know I have turned off some people by telling them the reality of my guided trips (I don't wine and dine or guarantee keeper images, I focus on outdoor skills and understanding the natural environment to produce successful images). That's just fine with me since I know those who expect otherwise will be disappointed, which can only hurt their experience and my reputation.

<br><br>

Guy<br>

<a href="http://www.scenicwild.com">Scenic Wild Photography</a>

Are workshops/photo tours worthwhile? Oh yes! If you are a busy person with a full time career, this is tbe best way to cram in a lot of productive photo acitivities in a short and efficient amount of time with people who share the same passion.

Remember, there are "real" workshops which aim to teach you something, then there are photo tours which mainly aim to take you to the "right" locations at the "right" time of day. In my experience, in these tours, the leader would teach you as much or as little as you want or need, as there may be "know-it-alls" who don't want/need any instructions.

I have been to a few and planning on a few more next year.

Good luck!

As do many in this forum, I, too, like to go out and photograph alone. However, when I need a recharge, or to get some new ideas, I like to take a workshop weekend. I can also recommend Rod Plank - I know him from trips to the Antarctic, and he's a great guy and teacher. Also you might check out the University of California Santa Cruz Extension. They have regular photo workshops designed to travel to interesting places and teach, too. I'm off to their Death Valley one in late February.

My previous response did not fairly address the other equally worthy alternative of going it alone. A talented friend of mine prefers to do it alone and she never fails to return from her solo trips with eye-popping images. She usually plans her trips carefully with a good amount of research. If you are so-motivated, dedicated, and disciplined, and if you are already a skilled photographer, then this can be a practical alternative. One of the advantages is that you get to set your own rules -- where to go and for how long.