Leica V Lux

That's the only digital camera that has truly caught my eye... But the thing with Leicas is that their software isn't compatible with my Mac.

I am in the market to get a new computer, though... In about one or two months. That's why I couldn't afford both, computer and camera at the same time. However, does anyone know about the MSP for this Leica? Who knows... I have a relatively decent gear fund.

Simon,

As this camera is based on the Panasonic DMC FZ50, you can find a few reviews (see DPReview.com). Although there are various hints that the firmware will be different between the two cameras, it will, in all likelyhood be similar to earlier Pana/Leicas (including the Digilux 2) where the lowest settings of things such as saturation, contrast etc on the Leica, may be one step lower than on the Panasonic. In other words, it will be 99% the same. What you do get with the Leicas is the extra year warranty, better software suite and the red dot.

Cheers,

Simon

My Panasonic FZ 30 and my Leica Digilux 2 are both compatable with my MAC. Get a card reader if you are having trouble. You can find them for as little as US$15.

Reviews suggest that the FZ 30 takes better pictures than the new FZ 50. Noise the big complaint. But if you've been in film for a long time the whole digital noise issue is az no brainer. Everything has a grain.

Between the Digilux 2 and my FZ 30, I like the color of the Digilux 2 much better. But the Leica Vario Elmarit (SP?) lens on the FZ 30 is amazing. I don't think you can lose with either camera.