RAW newbie seeks advice on software...

Does anyone here have experience with Phase One Capture One software for RAW

processing? Do you recommend it? I just downloaded the free trial and it seems

fairly user-friendly, although I haven't tried anything else to compare it

with. I've been using Photoshop for my other work and I never go too much past

the basic options. I shoot digital with a D200 and use Windows XP operating

system. Thanks for your help.

If the basic options of Photoshop is all you need, you might as well take a look at LightZone http://www.lightcrafts.com/

(LightZone is the raw converter/photo editor, LightZone RT is the photo editor only).

Some more info here http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_26/essay.html

LightZone's color rendition is pretty good for my Nikons.

Download the trial or version 2 open beta and see four yourself.

Herman

I used Capture One for quite a while and it is very good. But I ditched it for Apple's Aperture

now. That isn't an option on your Windows box, but Adobe Lightroom may be. The advantage

of these two programs is that they also manage your library for you, apart from being just

editors.

Since you have Photoshop, it makes sense to upgrade to CS2 (if necessary) and take advantage of the Adobe Bridge/Adobe Camera RAW/Adobe Photoshop connection. This is an highly effective, efficient way to edit and convert RAW files to another, more useable format. In version CS2, Adobe has greatly enhanced the compabibility between all the software in that suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat and Lightroom. You can click, drag and copy objects between them freely.

The Photoshop suite will do all that the other "favorite" programs above will do, and much more. There are ample learning tools for you to expand your knowledge of this program. Photoshop is the standard by which all other editing programs are measured.

...and, like always, it's opened up a proverbial can of worms. I'm somewhat of a traditionalist; I like to compose and create full-frame with little or no cropping, and I don't use Photoshop to the point where the resulting image is nothing like what I originally saw in my viewfinder. I shoot mostly film, have it processed in a lab and then digitally produce the prints myself. My point is; I don't really want to explore complicated programs, I prefer something relatively comfortable to use, and I'm getting into RAW to take advantage of the wider range of color and detail. I've been using PS, but only go as far as the Levels and Curves and a few more basic steps. So, now I need the next step. I don't particularly want to spend $500 for CS, but I do need a program to process the RAW without the bells and whistles.

So, with that long-winded monologue said, which programs do you think would be best for me? Thanks again for all your input.

I'm always being told that I can't get an update, that I need to purchase the full CS for $500. If this is true (and if you say it is, it must be), then that would probably be my solution.

So, while we're on the subject, does anyone recommend anything over PS for user-friendliness and intuitiveness?

Try Nikon View (free download from Nikon's site). It's a file manager, viewer, basic editor and RAW converter, although it doesn't do batches (I would have called it CaptureLite or so). It automatically adds a plug-in to Photoshop so you can also open RAW files directly. The converter is pretty basic though: choose between the different white-balance presets or choose as shot, exposure compensation and 8 or 16 bits conversion, but for me it does the job, but then I'm just starting with RAW - better results than shooting jpgs anyway.

"So, while we're on the subject, does anyone recommend anything over PS for user-friendliness and intuitiveness?" Dennis

Unlikely because others imitate PS. Some are different, such as Picture Window Pro, or Lightzone, or even Adobe's own Lightroom, but "user-friendliness and intuitiveness" usually means 'I'm familiar with it'.

The influence of applications bundled with cameras and also Picasa is evident in Elements 4 & 5 -- an approach I consider user-friendly and intuitive, moreso than PS and its work-alikes.

These days I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Beta 4 for everything except resampling for output and touch ups to it and use Elements 4 for that. I have PS for business needs which go beyond pp my personal photography.

I dislike menuing and windowing interfaces for image editors, and my model of the perfect interface is pretty damn obscure. That would be Opal Paint for the Amiga back in the early 90s. Unsurpassed to this day, interfacewise.

--

Don E

Capture one free, I assume you mean Capture one LE because the pro is "only" $399, since Bibble Pro is "only" 129, they must think highly of their pro line. I think I will wait till October 16th to get the free Capture one with a new card. Where is that deal advertised?

Thanks

Let me add to your choices.

http://www.irfanview.com/

provides a viewer which is free.

I have yet to run into a file type it can not open and it allows saves to many differnt types.

It provides crop and level adjustmens in a simplified manner, it is not the solution to all everyone will need, but given the usage you described, it may be your solution.

Regards

Floyd

I went to Sandisk's web site and it said it includes rescue pro with the extreme III. After talking to customer support they said the current batch includes rescuepro, but the newest batch will have Capture One included.

I have not used raw that much in the past, but given my new devotion to photography and yesterdays morning shooting of raw images that maxed out my 3 CF cards, I need to update my CF card selection. I'll buy one of each card getting rescue pro now and Capture One in a few weeks.

Does anyone know how limited the version included with the Extreme III card will be? Will it alow batch processing of RAW images?