Nikon flash on Canon body..

steve_myaskovsky

I did it with an SB-5 (?) and my 10D, worked great in auto mode and it gave me the idea of trying auto flash instead of the truly horrible ETTL 1. The downside is you have to program everything in, iso/focal length/aperture/compensation. If you want a good auto flash on a canon body then the Metz lineup might be worth looking at.

I still like to be able to shoot "auto" with a small strobe, in fill situtations.. Using the Canon 20d (in manual) I can set the Nikon strobe to a auto setting > and be faster & more reliable < than with compensation of the 580 in TTL, for my results. The 580 TTl flash output, in conjunction with the 20d metering ~~ is too determined by the tonal values of the subject & it's the surrounding area.

I do have success with using the Canon flash in manual..when the situation lends itself... i.e. the subject to camera ~ is relatively stationary... It performs independent of any camera metering :: always same output @ a given footage.

I use the Quantum flash,,, for anything requiring a solid F8 @ more than 10 feet.

If you do that, you have to read the Nikon manual and set the flash so it doesn't go to sleep

on you. On a dedicated camera, touching the camera shutter button reactivates the flash ...

which it won't do on a non-Nikon camera ... so it won't fire unless you manually wake it back

up.

Are you guys putting the Nikon flash directly on the camera hot shoe?

I've tried putting my Nikon SB26 flash on the hot shoe of an old Canon (EOSRT), and it seems to work fine, but I haven't dared risk putting it directly on my 5D in case it messes up the electronics.