What film for low light street shots do you guys use?

rod_melotte

I'm goign to the Carribean and while you can always see pictures of

beachs and palms you rarely see street scenes.

For low level light (dusk/night) what is the 35MM print film of

choice. I plan on using wide angel lenses when I can and have not

really done much of this kind of photography.

I was planning on Fujicolor Superia 100 for my day shots but Fuji

might be a little greenish for the lowlight street shots. (or am I

wrong???)

Hints? Suggestions?

No streetlight I've ever seen has a daylight color balance. Mercury vapor lights are bluish, flourescent tubes are green, and sodium lamps are that wicked orange color. So, for low-light situations, I normally try to avoid the situation entirely and use a high-speed black and white print film.

I used to use Kodak T-Max P3200, but I switched to Ilford Delta 3200; I like the response better and the grain is tigher, plus P3200 is only available in 35mm and I like shooting Delta 3200 with medium format.

"Digital camera's don't have (color temperature) problem? It's a film thing right?"

There can be two advantages to shooting a DSLR over shooting film in low, mixed lighting.

1. With a D100, even at ISO 1600, with the proper post-camera processing (Neat Image and PhotoKit Sharpener), I get cleaner, more "grainless" images than I can get with film of a like ISO.

2. If you shoot in RAW, you can go back and change the color temperature until it provides the best possible color match for vapor lights, tungsten, neon, etc.

When I shoot Fuji Superia 800 or 1600 in, say, a candlelight ceremony in a church, I don't have as good a latitude to compensate for color temperature in printing. Also, it may take me three runs of prints to hit an optimal overall color balance that still won't be as good as the RAW alterations I can do from a digital image.

• 2 weeks later...

You haven't really said how you want to capture the street scenes? If you want to 'stop' the action at dusk or at night you're going to want some very fast film (800 and up), if you want the motion blur effect then you'll want a tripod and some slow film instead. Or maybe you want a bit of both?

FWIW, you *should* take care without being completely paranoid. Obviously, some areas change their character a *lot* after dark and you wouldn't want to find yourself looking on the conspicuous side in the wrong one. That said, I've now used my tripod on the street in both Berlin and Miami without getting more than a few strange looks and a couple of "How can you take pictures in the dark?" However, these are both cities where you have to go looking for trouble and I'm not sure that the Caribbean (for all its good qualities) is quite the same at night.

Good luck.

jon