1st Time as an Assistant, any suggestions?

photoreu

Hi Everyone.. first of all, thanks for all the insight you have

provided to everyone here, I have learned so much just reading the

posts! Anyway, one of my friends has asked me to be his wedding

photographer for his March wedding. I've never shot a wedding in my

life, so I'm doing my research. In doing this research, I'm

discovering that the photography business, as cruel as it can be, may

be something I'm actually seriously interested in pursuing as my full

time career. I love photography, I love people, I have a sales

background, and I know I could succeed. I'm really looking forward

to managing my own business, making the decisions, and hopefully

making some money doing something I love to do!

Of course, before I just dive in and hopelessly fail (as I've seen

others do) I want to prepare myself.. one of the best ways to learn

this business, I've had it suggested, is to assist a pro. So I've

contacted a couple photographers in my area (Tampa Bay, FL) and one

of them just gave me a call this morning. He has a wedding this

saturday that I can go along to, we are meeting thursday to go over

the details. Basically I just want to hear the do's and dont's of

assisting. I know most of it is common sense, but I'd like to hear

it anyway :) I'd especially like to hear from those of you who have

used an assistant before, or those of you who have had lots of

experience assisting others. Let me know what you look for, and what

are some of the "red flags" that indicate someone might not work out

as an assistant. Your wisdom is appreciated, and if any of you are

in central Florida and need an assistant, shoot me an e-mail! and

yes, I've already contacted Chris M :) Thanks again!

Only one thought: pay attention to what the photographer is doing. I was at a wedding recently where I watched the photographer struggle with getting his flash to fire during critical moments. Rather than hand him the backup camera, the assistant just stood at the back spaced out.

I'm new myself but I would guess that an assistant should:

1. do as he is told (shouldn't have to be asked twice)

2. he shouldn't bother him with tech questions while he's shooting.

3. know what the schedule and order of events your where you should be

4. dont get in his way.

5. can work independently if he needs you to take shots while he's busy with something else.

I guess that's what i would look for, basically someone who makes my job easier without getting in the way.

Vener's rules for assistants

rule 1 : Try to find and read the manuals for every piece of gear the photographer is

likely to be using. Before you leave for the job make sure you learn exactly how the

photographer organizes his/her equipment and make sure that it goes back into the same

spot or at least the same case or bag when you pack up or change locations. If you have

questions about this: ask.

rule 2: It is better to keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open

rule 3: If there is something that needs to addressed by the photographer, do it discretely.

rule 4: You are there to assist. That is your job. If you also learn something, that is gravy,

but your job is to make the photographer's life easier so they can do a better job of

concentrating on the job at hand.

rule 5: You don't have to work for a rude or abusive person more than once.

rule 6: Bring a pad of invoices to every job and invoice as soon as the day or assignment is

finished. You might not get paid on the spot (then again you might) but you'll go to the

top of the stack.

rule 7: Never be late, rude or abusive to anyone.

rule 8: It helps to be good company during the downtime.

rule 9: Either turn your cellphone off or set it to vibrate only mode.

rule 10; Expect to get paid a fair amount for a fair day's work.

rule 11; Don't blow your money on gear. Spend it on building your own portfolio or

putting into savings for the future.

rule 12: Make sure you have decent health insurance.

Do be attentive, understand what the photographer wants you to do and try to anticipate what you should do next. Don't zone out, lose things, break things, dissapear or sit down (unless the photographer is also sitting). What the specific duties will be will depend on how the photographer uses assistants, the amount and type of gear they use, and the style they shoot. If they shoot film you will probably take care of the film. If they are digital you may keep track of cards and down loading them. If they are more traditional, they will tend to have more gear of the lighting variety. (Classic NYC wedding lighting is an on camera flash and a second light on a pole that the assistant carries for back/side/highlight lighting.) Some photographers use AC powered lights (pack/head or monolights) for formals. If they aren't using lights, then you'll probably be working a reflector. If they use a lot of gear, you will do a lot of schlepping. If they are more of a PJ style they will be less lighting gear, but maybe more camera gear.

The most important thing is to find out exactly what the photographer plans on having you do during the day and how they want you to help them. Be awear that some photographers get stressed and snappy during a shoot. Try not to let it throw you. When there is a lull during the cocktail hour or meal, ask the photographer if they would like a drink.

Usually by the time I'm packing up the bar has long been closed, and at that point all I want is coffee. (If it's an evening affair and you snag a cup of coffee for the photographer, those are good brownie points.)

If it's a warm day and you're going to be making many trip to the bar for soft drinks, it's a good idea to drop a few buck in the tip glass. You make a friend and get much better service.

Getting tipsy, or trying to pick up members of the bridal party are big no no's.

<p>I only use an assistant a few times a year, but here are my thoughts:

<p>Ellis' rule 1 is excellent and should be read over, and over, and over again. My first assistant hid most of my gear from me. That is to say, it ended up not being where I expected it to be. My other working rules are:

<p>If it breaks, tell me right away, <b>don't</b> wait until I've decided I need it. Stuff happens; don't keep it a secret.

<p>If I'm doing something dumb, like wondering why my flash isn't firing even though I haven't turned on the remote, let me know. Letting me know is first in importance. Letting me know discreetly and politely is a close second.

<p>If I hand you a CF card with images on it, you will always hand me a blank one back. Ditto with film.

<p>Thou Shalt Not Interrupt Shooting To Ask Questions About The Laptop. (My assistants do a lot of image downloading for me. If you get stuck, stop and we'll figure it out later.)

<p>There is a book called <i>The Photographer's Assistant</i> by John Kieffer. I recently saw it in a remainder pile and bought it for one USD. For many assistants and prospective assistants, it would be worthwhile reading; for some others it would be too generalized and nonspecific. Might be worth looking at.