Yashica Electro GSN - Bright Frame

I recently bought a Yashica Electro 35 GSN on ebay. It has a very sharp and

contrasty lens. I have a problem with this camera. Although I compose the

picture within the bright frame, the picture size in the negative that I get

is much bigger than the bright frame size in the viewfinder. I think this

problem occurs at the long distances. How can I manage this problem?

Thanks for your helps.

Mustafa H.Digdigi

And it's equipped with the 45mm lens, right? There were some attachments made for the lens too. You don't have a tele installed do you? The bright frame is supposed to show you the shooting area. Is the image just plain off from the finder? Or is the image much larger than the entire viewfinder area? That would suggest that you're not using the 45mm. If it's off, then the camera needs adjusting because the bright frame is supposed to account for parallax correction at closer distances. I haven't owned one for some time, but they were great little cameras.

Mustafa,

I do not know where you live so this may not help, but I would strongly suggest that you contact Dave Swain (http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=1184141)

He is an expert with Yashica Electros, works out of his home, and is unbelievably inexpensive.

I have two such units and he saved them.

I would suggest that you direct your question to him since I'm not sure what the problem is. He will answer.

Todd

Lots of fixed-lens rangefinders have bright frames in the viewfinders that are not

absolutely accurate. Many take into consideration the area cropped from an image when

the transparency is mounted in a slide mount, or negative put into the negative carrier of

the enlarger. Others are just "conservative". If you do a few tests, and compare the

negatives or slides with the area shown in the viewfinder, then you can get a "mental" feel

for how much to "compensate" in your mind, as there is always more picture visible

beyond the bright frames, so you can, for example, say to yourself, "I need to compose to

the outside of the bright frames," or such. This is a rangefinder camera, not a SLR, so

absolute framing accuracy is not normally the design intent. Even SLR type cameras do

not show everything visible on the naked negative, for the same slide mount cropping

reasons stated above.

McCluney Photo