troyammons

If you could choose just one MF camera, which one would it be. I am

at the crossroads, and probably changing to a 6x7 system. I shoot

mostly art, product, still life, architecture, landscape, and would

like to get into shooting nudes.

Right now I have a fuji B690GL, a Kowa 66, a couple of 6x6 folders

along with a Sinar 4x5 w/3 lenses and a SD9. I really like MF film

and since shooting 4x5 I am more inclined to go go for a 6x7 format

camera over 6x6 or 6x9. I plan to keep my 4x5.

I am a sharp lens freak, so that is very important. I have been

looking at several different cameras.

Mamiya RZ - suposedly sharp lenses and there are a lot of them out

there but its a brick.

Mamiya 7 - sharp again, but rangefinder. Personally I enjoy

shooting my Kowa much more than the Fuji 690 rangefinder, but the

ability to shoot handheld at 1/30 is nice. Also the lenses are a bit

limited, accessory viewfinders etc. Very expensive !!

Pentax 67 - This would suit me to a tee, except for that incredible

mirror slap and shutter vib. I recently saw a P67 photo with mirror

lock up at 1/10 sec that had terrible shutter shake. The worst I

have ever seen. Just a note. I took some handheld photos with my

Kowa over the holidays at 1/60 sec and they are very sharp, even

with no MLU.I also read that the mamiya lenses are a step up from

the pentax 67 sooo....

I know there are others out there too, but this is my short list so

far. I guess ideally I would like a rz system and a mamiya 7 system,

its just too bad the lenses don't interchange.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance

Troy , I used a RZ for 4 or 5 yrs as a studio,landscape,portrait camera and it was great. I had the 50mm ,90mm,and 180mm lenses as well as the AE finder and polaroid back. It never broke down and never let me down. The lenses are very sharp,with good color and contrast. It will focus very close with out tubes or bellows. It is kind of heavy, but not enough to be a problem.I too would like a Mamiya 7 ,for travel , but I am happy with my Super Ikonta B and C cameras which fold up and are much lighter. Good luck with what ever you choose.

I've used both the RZ and the mamiya 7. I own the mamiya 7 because I once was a poor art student. for art making, documentary, environmental portraits, landscapes - the mamiya 7 is a real champ. its light and flexible. if you don't do alot of close portraits, the 7 is the way to go. I have the 65/4 and 80/4 (that came with the kit)

the RZ is the cam with all the pro options - polaroid, viewfinders, you name it. plus now the newest RZ is optional for digital.

rent either one to see if you like it. if they only developed a digital mamiya 7.....

good luck, best wishes

I am under the impression that you should keep the Kowa and forget about 6x7. Now, if you must go the 6x7 SLR route, take a look at the Bronica GS-1.

But i have a suggestion for you: a TLR. Consider a Rolleiflex 3.5F with Planar or Xenotar. It is a 6x6 but the lens is as good as it gets. No mirror = no vibration and silent. Waist level finder is much better for landscape and portrait in my opinion. The best of both worlds...

I have used Mamiyas & Pentax 67 systems. Both systems are full of top quality gear! I

would suggest that you surf over to the Pentax 6x7 forum and review some of the

pertinent opinions. I have seen and produced crappy photos using many systems,

but some of my best work has come from the Pentax 67 system! Generally, better

work comes from understanding the subject matter, understanding one's tools and

limitations. Using a P67 correctly and with good film and processing, fantastic photos

are possible. Same can be said for Mamiya. There are many beautiful collections of

pix from photographers using either brand!

Don't rule out 6x9 that fast... I would suggest you look for a Horseman VH or VHR. They

accept both 6x9 and 6x7 RFB's, are built like the proverbial BSH, add the optional angle

viewer you view through the lens. You get a bevy of movements, it's lighter, cheaper and

more versatile than the RZ, and you can use lot's of different high quality LF lenses. I have

both models and use the following lenses 58XL-75 Horseman- 100 APO Symmar-135

Sironar S-150 Sironar S- 240 Fuji A and Nikon's 270T. The camera and 3 or 4 lenses fits in

a fairly small package that weigh less than the RZ body alone. I also have and love the RZ,

but it never leaves the studio, and since building my Horseman set-up my Toyo AII hasn't

seen the light of day.

I vote "NO" on Proposition TLR.

The quality optics and flexibility that the RZ system offers is what I enjoy most about it. I had a Pentax 67 and never had any of the shutter-shake problems people talk about- to this day I am still think that my Pentax lenses (45 and 105)were sharper than the RZ lenses, but anyway...

With the RZ, I really like the interchangable, revolving backs allowing me to shoot

6x4.5

6x6 (there are a few out there, used)

6x7

7x7

I also like the flash-sync at any speed.

I short, I would vote for the RZ67; I would say for me, it is the end-all, be-all medium format camera.

Good luck

Hands down, Mamiya 7 (original grey) with 80mm normal and 50 wide! Purchased used or on one of Mamiya's periodic sales, the prices will be reasonable. Make sure you visit a store and actually handle the 7. It's a vast improvement over any of the Fuji RFs, with built in meter and virtually silent shutter.

For my uses, the Pentax 67 is a near perfect camera. The newer lenses are superb optically. As long as you are aware of the vibration problems in some shutter speed ranges, you can get superb results. For use in the field, it is excellent. I often use it handheld at shutter speeds in the range 1/125 - 1/1000 and have no problems at all.

But it's horses for courses.

A Horseman, Linhof or Sinar rollfilm back for your Sinar.

The Pentax image you saw had to

have vinbration from some other source than the camera body if the miroor was locked

up. Did the photographer use a cable release? what tripod was it mounted on? How bad

was the wind and how long was the lens used?

If I had to choose just one medium format camera at this time and it had to be 6x7cm

format: I'd choose the Mamiya RZII -- but I think the Pentax lenses are generally better. I

choose the RZ67Ii because of the rotating back, being able to change film types quickly or

mid roll, and the ability to use Polaroid or someday use

a high end digital back.

Do note that the sample image you saw was taken with a 300 mm lens and 1.4 extender on a light tripod. Not a recommended combination for any camera, let alone a medium format camera with focal plane shutter. A few inches lower on the same site is another, tack sharp, picture with the same 300 mm lens on heavier tripod.

I have never had shutter vib problems with the P67 with lenses below 300 mm even with a 'light tripod'. With that 300 mm yes, but not when mounted on a 4-series Gitzo.