Why do people pay so much for Leica Lenses?

Michael, my apologies somehow I construed "So if I (like almost all of us here) want to be the boss, and not the camera, you still have to pay for it" to meaning you have to pay to be in control of the camera...go figure.

<p>

I also think Peter has the right thinking, if he likes the way it works and feels that's all that matters and there's no need to justify anything else.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expensive? Yes bloody so. Im glad I recovered what I spent on an M6 and a 35/2/asph bought at obscene prices. IMO, you don't need modern lenses or modern bodies to get into Leica. I'd say again. You are ONLY AS GOOD as your camera.

But people can use what they want and spend as they like. It's their choice. It's a waste of time arguing that part. imo.

<i>You are ONLY AS GOOD as your camera.</i><p>

You've got that backwards. grant takes great photos with an old Russian camera with a scratched lens, a piece of trash. The photos get rave reviews here. For a number of years, I used an old Olympus camera with a lousy lens and off-speeds, I've sold a number of photos from it. <p>

It's probably worth pointing out that when the Spanish arrived in Mesoamerica, they were amazed at the cities, larger and more elaborate than the ones at home. They had been built with stone tools and without the wheel, yet awed the Spaniards who had metal tools and sophisticated wheel-based transport.<p>

I'd say that you are no better than how well you visualize an image. Period.

what lens/camera combo was this pic taken from? Do you know from here? You probably won't know from a 11x14 too. So you see, it doesn't matter what you are using, as long as you like using them to get what you want. And spend whatever you need. As long as you are happy, why do you care what others think? ;)<div>00AHd4-20693484.jpg.82e94dbde60ebb9af270fc1f56198261.jpg</div>

Jeff, what I mean is you cannot be better than your camera or that your camera cannot be better than you. Yes, provide the vision, your camera just records it. You cannot ask your camera to do things beyond it's spec for example and likewise, your camera can't compose for you.

As to how good you are as a photog, well, that's not my problem.

Yes, Im sure you'll find ways to do it. You can even do it with a pinhole if you try. AT 1/8000th..yes Im sure you would.

I have no problems with what people uses to do what they want. I have no problems with whether one is a good photog or not based on what he uses, like yourself, using whatever gears.

Dude, I didn't say I could do it at 1/8000, but I would find something interesting, regardless of the camera. I've shot boxing with a medium format camera, talk about a tool that doesn't fit the job. Looked more like portraits, but I got them published anyway.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you are saying.

You said it doesn't matter what one uses but it's the vision. So I give you an M to shoot a 1/8000th and you said you can't with that one but need another interesting pic. SO are you or are you not limited by the gear in some instance?

Im not doubting what u can do with the same camera otherwise, but why not just admit at times we are only as good as what the camera can provide? in the F1 case.

Ray, don't know...didn't read anything today. Think he'll probably stay in Boston but if not they got cheese to spend on someone else. Thought what they (sox) offered was fair. If he signs with the Mets we wont be hearing about or from him after July...

I'm not quite sure why people try to compare a d70 or any other digital slr to a leica m. It makes no sense. One camera is an slr and the other is a rangefinder, one is digital, the other is film, one has a viewfinder that is like looking towards a light at the end of a dark tunnel, the other is large, bright and shows things outside of the frame. There two completely different types of cameras, why compare them?