Why do people pay so much for Leica Lenses?

Honestly, I noted a guy selling his 75mm summilux for $1350 dollars, and the light bulbs started flashing. WTF? Why would anyone need that lens, and why would they pay so much for it? It is huge and heavy, with no depth of field. Sure it is a cool lens, but would one use it that much. I forgot about the old deal where you can sell your Leica gear for as much or more than you paid. That is why I posted. If it is trolling, well sorry, but you know what they say, the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Grant. It is true and you know it. The only point is to be the best at what you do. That is not egoism, it is the search for beauty, truth and goodness. Anyone can make mediocre pictures, but do you want to be satisfied with that? Not saying your pics are mediocre, I have not seen them, but I disagree that wanting to make stand out pics is egoism.

There are some folks here for whom the money is not an issue. Me, I use the

gear I have professionally, and it has earned back for me what I have spent

on it several times over, in most cases. Certainly anyone who thinks better

gear will make them a better photographer is a fool- no one here seems to

dispute that. But pride of ownership is no great sin, and if one can afford good

equipment and derive some pleasure from it's use, maybe even make some

great pitcures with it, it's well worth it. Even if it's not used to make money, if

we use it well enough and keep it long enough, as Al pointed out, it will more

than recover it's value through high eventual resale value or sheer durability

and longevity. It seems to me you should think more before you spend the

money and enjoy the gear more once you have it.

All that said, buying carefully on the used market, you can put together a very

nice kit for much less than you might think, as illustrated by a few responses

above.

"Why do people pay so much for Leica Lenses?"

Because they are lucky enough to be free to do as they wish with their own money.

I only have one Leica lens - a 50mm Summicron from the early '90s.

FWIW, I have never used any 35mm format lens that gave results I perceive to be significantly better than my first lens, a 50mm F1.8 Pentax.

<i>For me, I am more interested in producing images that will stand out in 100 years. That is the true judge of whether what we are producing is art or not. Will it stand the test of time.</i>

<br>

<br>

<br>

sounds like you desire a legacy more than anything...

Negatory one more time Grant. You are totally missing the point. The image has value in and of itself. When I am dead, I am dead, end of story. But the image lives on. I have never seen or heard Cartier Bresson nor Robert Capa, although admittedly Capa's life was enviable, and so to was Bresson's. These two men were giants of their ages. But the fact is that they left something, a record that will live on and create value and happiness for later generations.

What the hell is a "legacy" anyway? I am talking about finding fulfillment. It is precisely in the way that one transcends one ego through the creative act that one finds eternal life. It is in somehow exploding the bonds of ego by creating something great that one finds true freedom. It take mountains of effort.

It's not actually a lot of money for many people. $3000 for a lens is a pittance compared to $150,000 for a Porsche they drive only in congested traffic. Fortunately, they make it possible for the rest of us to purchase used stuff at much less crazy prices.

Yeah, Bill, that was actually the argument that would have silenced me. I figured it out after I posted! ; )

Damn right. I live in Tokyo, where I have been able to furnish my entire apartment with everything you can imagine almost for free. Camera gear, cars, everything I ever owned was used. I like it like that, but it means someone has to pay for the new stuff, so I better not make a fuss. I don't want to jinx my luck!

Viva the Consumer Society!

In the strict economic sense the only camera I ever got my "money's worth" out of was the second or third hand Leica III and ancient Elmar I scrimped for and took to college with me. Quite frankly it didn't pay my expenses but it made the difference between poverty and comfort, and from it I learned that the intrinsic value of fine things far outweighs their monetary value. I have had the good fortune to own at one time or another a significant cross section of the photographic gear available over the past sixty years. In most instances I traded one acquisition for the next, but I always kept a private battery of Leica gear that satisfied my hobby aspirations while trading afforded a small profit on each transaction that eventually amortised the personal Leica outfit. I've owned and used other brands and systems-- Linhof, Rollei, Graflex, etc. but always have known that the quality of that old Leica III far surpassed anything else in its class.

Re your comment about the 75mm:

I use one. It practically lives on my camera. I find 75mm offers more interesting picture possibilities than 50mm, and the 1.4 aperture is useful in all sorts of situations, whether it's plain-vanilla low light shooting or when you want the unique low-depth-of-field effect.

And to your original question - yes, Leica stuff is very expensive. But whether an individual buys a Leica or something cheaper is also a question of what better uses the person has for the money, not just the absolute price. The look-and-feel of the M-system suits me better than any other camera I've had, and when I bought it, I was lucky enough not to need the money for anything else.

That the lenses are among the best in the world is just kinda an added bonus.

I understand the desire to make great images, but we live in very different times to HCB and RC. We are saturated with images, both still and moving day in- day out. <p>I see some really great work in the photo.net galleries, some of it is taken with a Leica, but much of it is digital or medium format. Some of it is a original and worthy as that made by some of the "greats", IMHO <p>

Bill Brandt made images that are as recognizable and timeless as anybody, using more than one type of camera. Did he use a Leica? I think that much of was done with an old style Rollei or a large format "forensic" camera.<p>

Leicas are fine, but I guess I feel that it is not necessary to pay for very expensive lenses to do great photography.

You are all right. You only live once, so why not enjoy it? Photography is great hobby. Just imagine if the US had sent an army of photographers, musicians and artists over to Iraq instead. We would have won the hearts and minds of the people there, instead of their eternal hatred and enmity.

I think the next country we invade we should send over peaceful Americans armed with cameras, musical instruments and smiles. Why do we live in a world so filled with animosity and hatred when it could be so different?