thomas_hardy1

Two Questions:

1. Has the prices of used Hasselblad camera outfits (500 series) been rising

over the last 3 weeks? It seems that in each grade the prices have risen at

least two hundred dollars.

2. Also has anyone bought Hasselblad from one of those "Ebay sellers" , if so

which ones do you use. (I already know about Mr. Odess and Keh from reading

here. Thanks.

Some of the prices have been a bit high lately. I just won an ELM with screen and hood in mint shape for about $187, just because I wanted another backup body. But other than that, everything has gotten more expensive. On the other hand, I believe prices were pretty deflated over the last month or more too. So maybe it's time they went up. I happen to have purchased only from private parties with lots of positive feedback in photographic gear. The only big names I've purchased from in the past was Henry's (not bad), and Shutterblade (pretty dicey stuff).

I tend to agree with Michael Axel and stick with purchasing from individuals with

impeccable feedback and not dealers or people who tend to buy and sell the same stuff. I

will say that I had a great buying experience from Jacks Camera though and recommend

them. Sometimes the Shutterblade descriptios seem overly optimistic given the actual

photos of the items they are selling so I would buy from them only with a big grain of salt.

Prices fluctuate dramatically on Hasselblad gear. Its a fairly small market and both the

supply and demand of gear at any one time on ebay can change drastically which is

reflected in the see sawing prices. Patience is required ....and spending a lot of time

browsing newly listed possible Great deals offered as "Buy it Now". The better deals on

500 series cameras are almost always as a complete back, body and lens and finder. I saw

a kit go for under $400 a few days back. For that, you could sell the lens and end up with

a body for under $100 investment!

Thomas,

1. over the past year my guess is that Hassy prices have climbed a bit - I certainly found they have firmed up a bit but this is just a gut feel.

2. Yes , I have on 3 occassions, with great success. I bought a "like new" 503cw 18 months ago and a old "new stock" Distagon 60mm lens 2 months ago. I am delerious about both buys. The vendors were 100%+ true to their word. I also bought either my 120mm or 150mm lenses on ebay in promised "excellent +" condition and was happy with that.

I saved about US$200 on the 503CW at least as best I can guess from KEH stock; I got the Distagon in superior condition I found impossible to find in the US, here in Australia and in the UK for the same or even a bit more money so was delighted to find that this lens had certainly had no on-camera use as promised. I was happy to get a normal just "excellent" version but could not find that to my satisfaction. So I really saved about US$100 against the best I saw going.

I saved about US$200+ on the 120 or 150 lens I got on ebay.

So, with very great care you can buy from ebay sellers and get 100%+ satisfaction - interrogate the vendor about condition; ask for extra pix etc.; check their history thoroughly. If they are not responsive and don't treat you like they would like to be treated, keep away from them. The guys I bought the 503cw and Distagon from went out of their way to give me details - the 503CW vendor even under-described his camera.

None was a dealer type of vendor so I have no names to share.

The went down in August because everyone is on holiday and not on eBay. Now folks are

back they returned to normal. They will then go up (a lot) in the run up to Christmas

(December) and fall down again in January. Prices are higher at the begining of the month

(people just got paid). etc. etc. Overall though prices are down year on year on year... and

have been for the past several years.

• 3 weeks later...