What is this ring?

suman

If you scanned it, than it's caused by film being right on the glass surface of your

holder or scanner. I believe it's called Newton Rings. I have a Nikon 8000 scanner

with glass holder and occassionally I'll get those rings. But I don't know why it only

happen occassionally and not all the time. Maybe someone else could explain that.

Hi Rob,

Don't know how to type moire, but in the article I saw this was exactly how the pattern

looked depending on how you filled in the options box when resizeing. I forget where I

saw the article but it was all about the best settings with regards Bicubic, Bilinear, Nearest

Neibour, Bicubic Smoother etc, and what worked better for reducing image size and also

enlarging image size.

I though moire (typed wrong again) was to do with interferance from detailed patterns and

pixel positioning, there doesn't seem to be any fine detail in the smoke or cloud, so no I

don't think it is moire as I understand it. Also the pattern is most pronounced in the exact

center of the image, again not consistant with moire as I understand it, but I have been

wrong before.

Take care, Scott.

<< there doesn't seem to be any fine detail in the smoke or cloud >>

That's because the "cloud" is (I believe) a picture of the Northern Lights.

You type moiré by first typing "moir" and then hold down the ALT key and type 0233 on the number keypad on the right side of your keyboard.

The ring is present in the raw files (from d60 and tamron 19-35 plus UV filter). So I think it is interfearence or so what called newton. Damn it! the sky is cloudy today and I don't think I can get those shoots again tonight. BTW, is there a way to avoid this?

Page 16 of the Nov/Dec 2004 issue of Photo Techniques magazine in an article about photographing the northern lights:

"Unfortunately, the properties of the auroral light require avoiding filters of any kind because they can produce concentric circles or rings. These ghost-like circles show up in the center of your image and are caused by interference patterns with the narrow spectrum of the aurora's light."

Scott,

Your keyboard doesn't have a sub-set (via function key) of numbers? You could try the top-row #'s, but who knows if it'll work.

Chris, dew or cold temperature is not an issue here and pretty sure. The rings were there in my first few shots (when condensation) and also in latest shots (where dew may be an issue). So I think newton ring stands for the best explanation of this formation.