Any word of a Nikon D200?

regina_gong2

Just wondering if there has been any word on the street about a D200 coming out anytime

soon. Not quite understanding why Nikon isn't directly competing with the Canon 20D,

and it seems as though people abandoning Nikon for Canon altogether. The D70 feels too

small and rinky dink and doesn't offer a vertical grip, so I am holding out...

So buy a D2H or D1X. Oh, you want a pro camera on an amateur budget?

Nikon and Canon both sell into three markets. Those for whom price is the priority, those for whom speed is the priority, those for whom image quality is a priority. People who want features from the latter two markets but are only willing to pay prices for the former market are ignored by both companies, and rightly so. Does that answer your question?

"Nikon and Canon both sell into three markets."

Well, no. The whole point is that Canon recognises there's a 4th market between the entry-level and pro cameras (which is where the 20D sits, and where Nikon doesn't compete at the moment). The answer to the original question is that there have been lots of rumours/wish lists (Google for 'Nikon D200'), but nothing reliable.

The D100 is pretty much a lame duck at this point, though - haven't they stopped making it? Many potential purchasers will opt for the D70 at 600GBP (which apparently wins on image quality, albeit at the expense of viewfinder and build quality, no grip option etc.), hang on in the hope that a 'D200' is on the horizon (like the original poster), or buy Canon. My guess is that any 'D200' will be priced to compete directly with the 20D (or 40D by the time the 'D200' comes out!), but perhaps Nikon does not intend to compete in the mid range at all? When the D70 came it, there were suggestions that it _was_ the D100 replacement (even though it's downgraded in some respects and now sells for about the same price as the Canon 300D).

Regina,

"The D70 feels too small and rinky dink and doesn't offer a vertical grip"

This is quite true but you'll offend quite a few people (perhaps you already have) here in this forum if you talk like that. D70 is more than just a DSLR, its almost a religion for some folks! They'd tell you to be happy with what you got or just move over to some other system no matter how impractical it is for you.

Well, all that can be heard reg. the D200 are rumours. I don't think Nikon can directly compete with Canon, because for whatever reason Canon seems to have stronger R&D muscles and longer marketing arms and a better understanding of the market.

On a related note -- many of the Nikon users I have known personally and at online forums are on either two extremes. One type will always find many things to complain about even about a neat product, the other type will cheer at any trash Nikon throws at them. It's weird.

The rest of them know what they want for their photography, how much they can compromise and how much they can supplement by other gear.

"and it seems as though people abandoning Nikon for Canon altogether."

I was at Arlington Camera yesterday, a large volume digital/consumer shop in the DFW

area. They told me that the Nikon D70 is killing digital Rebel sales. The pro market is

perhaps a different story.

If you're looking for a vertical grip, consider the D100 and MB-D100 grip.

<p>Keep in mind that Nikon is offering a $200 rebate on the D100. When Nikon

offers money back it ususally means the next model is coming. The D1x still has a

$500 rebate.</p><p>Personally, I am waiting to see the D200. It will need to have a

better "F100" style viewfinder because I don't AF and the D100/D70 finder is just

HORRIBLE, PC terminal, ISO 100-1600, flash sync of at least 1/250, TTL metering

with manual AIS lenses, and a vertical grip. If I like it and it's around $1500 I'll get

one.</p><p>If the D200 sucks (N80 based again - Jesus why do they use that

crappy body?), then I will reconsider a move to Canon. Bummer if

that happens because I really do like the GOOD Nikon viewfinders (F4s, F5, F6) better

than Canon's and I like the flash system. I will also lose a lot of money trying to sell

the 10 Nikkors I have. Sure the D2x is a great camera, but at $4500-$5000 it's just

not realistic.</p><p>So yeah, I wish Nikon would pull their collective heads from

their asses and get a killer $1500 D200 to market before the next f*&@ing

millenium.</p>

If you sell 10 Nikkors and get similar Canon lenses, you'll loose a lot more money than the difference between 4500 (for the D2X) vs. the price of the cheapest Canon with a decent viewfinder (the 1D Mk II). In fact, there isn't much difference between the two bodies, but one of them will work with your lenses and the other not.

Tom:<br>

I believe that the Nikon VF's if anything, are rated better than the Canon's. Granted I am talking about the 300d/10d/20d level, but then again, at the price point you mention, so are you. Some users will try and tell you that they can manual focus through these cameras. However, more like than not, they are really AF users who manual focus about 1 in 1000 shots and take 2 minutes to do it. When I show these people how easy it is to focus a manual SLR, it blows their mind. I am still waiting on a DSLR that has a proper focussing screen and isn't the size of my Nikon FM2n, and Leica M2...combined.

Wow, thanks for all of your insights! Since I have all Nikon lenses and just prefer Nikon

overall, I will wait with bated breath for a D200. I just did some research on the sensors

(Canon uses only CMOS while Nikon uses CCD). For some reason the higher end Nikons

now have CMOS. The CMOS is more inexpensive to manufacture, but I was wondering if

there is a noticable difference in quality?

Regina wrote: "but I was wondering if there is a noticable difference in quality?"

Well it depends. ;-) The CCD in the D1 is not that great compared to modern sensors, CCD or CMOS. But the D70 which also uses a CCD is far, far better than the D1. The major difference is that the D70 can tolerate longer exposures without suffering 'hot' pixels.

You can compare these and other cameras discussed here on www.dpreview.com (arguably the best digital camera reviews anywhere). Have a look at long exposure sample photos from the D1 and then compare them to the D70.