How many watts per second (Ws, or Joules) have a Canon 550EX

speedlite at 105mm head zoom and full power (1/1)? According to

Canon, the guide number in these conditions is 180.<br>

I found on the WEB an AC salve specification in which is stated:

"Guide number GN: 36 (80 watts per second)". If the conversion Ws

<-> GN is linear, then 550EX would have... 400Ws, which seems a

little bit too much to me. :)<br>

Thanks for responses.

It isn't "watts per second' It is "watt-seconds". Watt-seconds or Joules is a measure of the

potential energy stored in the units capacitors.

According to the 550EX manual the guide number at full manual power and the 50mm

zoom setting is 42. expand angle of coverage to the 17mm setting and GN drops to 15,

Zoom the

head to 105mm setting (narrow beam) and the GN goes up to 55.

Ws or Joules is a measurement mostly for professional studio flashes, because of the reflector changing you always receive different GN. Unfortunately you cannot always compare the indication Ws or Joule of the different flash manufacturers. More importantly than the Ws or Joules is the light output (f-stop), which one gets from the flash unit. Professional photographers mostly use therefore a Flashmeter.

Chris

<p><i>More importantly than the Ws or Joules is the light output (f-stop), which one

gets from the flash unit.</i></p>

<p>Yes. Watt-seconds and Joules are measurements of the amount of stored

electrical energy in the flash unit's capacitors. It is only one factor to determine what

f-stop

you will get from the strobe. Effective output also depends on the unit's reflector

efficiency, flashtube efficiency, whether the flashtube is being fully loaded when fired

or not, and of course the addition of any light modifiers. I am thinking of studio

strobe systems here.</p>

<p>Still, comparing WS numbers from one manufacturer to another is a

conveninent - if not entirely accurate - way of comparing strobe systems.</p>

The Watt-Seconds rating/spec is often the energy stored in the flashes high voltage storage capacitor. This is one half the Capacitance; times the DC voltage squared. The flash tube is not 100 percent efficient; heat is released; UV is released; besides usefull visible light. The losses; bulb efficiency; type of reflectors (if any) vary with each flash made. Scientific strobes are often specified with curves for bare bulb; and several different reflector sizes. Here GN versus watt-seconds can vary 3 to 1 or more; because the reflector can be focusable; and make a spotlight. An absolute GN versus Watt-seconds is not possible. It is like an absolute miles per gallon; litres per kilometer number that works with all vehicles; army tank to moped.

Where did you spec a reading in inches?<P>As others have pointed out the connection

between watt-seconds and GN isn't linear (well

it might be if you are only comparing settings for just a 550EX that is performing as the

manual says it should. Start comparing that one ideal 550EX to other flashes and you can't

do a linear equation.).<P>

According to the table on page 121 of the Canon 550EX manual <B>at a zoom setting of

105mm , the GN at ISO 100 in meters is 55</B>. I assume this means that with an ideal

550EX at 1 meter you get

a guide number of 55 in the exact center of the beam pattern. convert the distance

measurement to inches or feet or cubits and you'll still end up with the same guide

number. The equation is "Guide Number / Distance in Feet = aperture setting"

Still, the maximum stored electric energy in a 550EX is roughly 60 - 70 watt-seconds, no

matter what zoom setting you use on the Canon Speedlite 550EX

Completely not answering the original question, but...

<P>

For those of you NOT using the metric system, the GN of the Canon 550EX is 180 @ 100 ISO @ 10' @ 105mm.

<P>

Don't forget how the Guide Number changes with the ISO:<ul>

<li>200 1.4x

<li>400 2x

<li>800 2.8x

<li>1600 4x

</ul>

GN at new ISO = GN * sqrt(ISO / 100)