OT sort-of Beware Verizon

I had two web sites hosted on Verizon. One was for my business, and

the other was my site about vintage cameras. Today, both vanished.

The Verizon people say they don't know what happened, but will get

back to me in 48 hours. They say this has hit other of their

customers and they don't know why! Gee, I feel so comforted.

That's almost two years of work up the pipe. And now many of the

pictures I've posted here have vanished because the host pages are

gone. So, the moral is: Don't host with Verizon.

The moral of this is - backups. Don't blame Verizon for something that you are culpable for.

It is quite likely that Verizon have their own backups. If your sites reappear, download them to your workstation and back them up. If you choose to write them to a CD, use Mitsui Gold because it is the only true archival CD on the market.

Red - I must assume you have been using sitebuilder tools provided by Verizon from a control panel of sorts? Something you have to log into, yes?

When I design a site, and I try really hard not to these days, I do so locally. That is to say, I handcode my pages or use a helper program like HTML_Kit, and my site is completely functional on my harddrive. I can browse it, follow links off it - just as though it were on some other server out in the ether. Once I have the bugs worked out, I upload to whichever webhosting service I choose.... the site remains on my computer for backup, for future editing, etc. I just push a copy of all the necessary files in the necessary directory structure up to the host's computers so that the entire world can view my work.

Whenever I update my site, it is done via the local files - the ones on my computer. When finished grooming it, I push fresh content up to my webhosting account. Now that new info becomes available to all.

It is not terribly difficult. Your site looked nice enough, so you have an eye for designing. There is a learning curve to "going solo", ie. designing, maintaining, uploading, backing-up, etc.

I would be happy to explain more as you need it.

Red Buckner wrote: "I had no idea you could download and save a website. How do you go about it?"

I am like CE Nelson and always construct my web sites on my local harddisk and then copy the file structure plus files to my internet provider. Regardless of how you construct your web page you do need to get a back up copy into your own hands which means copying the files and the file structures back to your harddisk. The method most folks use to transfer files from computer to computer is called "FTP" (File Transfer Protocol) and there are many different versions of this software that you could download (for free or for a small fee).

I use something called "WS_FTP" which was free when I got it (many years ago) but they now seem to charge a fee of about $35. FTP predates "HTTP" (Hyper Text Transfer Protocal) so it is very well established. Do some Googling for freeware if you want, or you can check out WS_FTP at ...

http://www.download.com/3000-2160-10018456.html

Good Luck

Mike Spencer

<a href="http://www.chami.com/html-kit/">HTML_Kit Website</a>

<p/>

Go there for a very good html tool. This will force you to bleed a little, you'll have to learn some coding skills, but it is highly useful and also comes with a built-in FTP client. All-in-one goodness.

<p/>

I am also available for small projects, may consider some gratis work if not too burdensome.<p/>

Best part - Free. Opensource software is a wonderful thing. Also search through <a href="http://sourceforge.net/">SourceForge.net</a> (The world's largest Open Source software development website) for more useful tools, including operating systems, forums software, games, firewalls, etc etc etc.<p/>

Hope this helps at least one of you who comes across this info.