**** Please Keep to Our Topic ****

Tony Rowlett

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray: "Tony, you're stepping in stride a little with the current Republican administration..."

Give me a break.

Peter, I can't agree with you, sorry! But your last point was pretty much right, that the heroes tend to get away with too much sometimes. And the people who are provoked in kind are the ones who lose out. However, if you're mature in the first place, you don't allow yourself to be provoked.

I mean, look at all the immature remarks made in Grant's direction in a recent thread with Al's pic in it. I don't care if Grant's initial comment was out of line or not - the responses were not justified.

I'm glad you moderators remove offensive material, and I welcome the attempt to keep the forum on topic. But please:

1) If you have to delete an entire thread, inform the thread's originator of what you have done and why. This is just courtesy.

2) Abide by your own politeness rule. Sending me an email addressing me as 'dude' (I don't think we have been introduced?), threatening me with explusion, and failing to answer my immaculately polite response was not classy. I have seen equally aggressive moderator's messages in thread.

The vast majority of posts are gear related, with a few W/NW. It would seem that some cannot get enough gear talk. General of topic or humor posts are condemned, and discussions about photography and photographs are frowned upon. You only have read the posts of Jim Mc Brides posts to reach those conclusions.

Ted:

"And don't use this Leica forum to talk about Canon, Voiglander,Bessa etc. If I wanna know

about those I will look in the appropiate forums..."

Are you a moderator we don't know about?

And what if someone has taken a photo with a C/V lens on a IIIg and wants to talk about

it? Or wants to talk about his experience with a Bessa R2 and 75 Lux? Or even wants to

talk about the compared merits of a Nikon F3 with 28/2.8 AI-S as opposed to M4 with C/V

25 Color-Skopar for street photography?

That's the problem with strict rules enforcing. There is always this eight-grade a..e-licker

swot who thinks he's smarter than everybody else and will try to go one better.

Enforce class and politenes. I'm all for it. 100%. Ban politics? Hmmm... It's gonna be hard,

in these days of intense worldwide anxiety and turmoil caused by the current US

administration. And its photography censorship.

The forum's description is "for all things Leica and Leica'esque'. That includes

Bessas, Hexars, Canon screw-mounts and Zorki's, all of which are Leica-

esque.<p>

I'm surprised by how humourless the forum's become over the last couple of

months. It doesn't help when Jeff, whose photography I respect, takes it upon

himself to attack those he looks down on as Leica-fondlers. It gets way out of

proportion, to the extent that some guy who's bought a new MP (good for him)

gets lambasted for processing his shots at a lab. Bursting people's bubble

every now and then might be useful, but when it's all that happens, it's

downright monotonous.

I think the very purpose of any forum is to function as a level playing field that encourages participation within its framework of rules. It's the antithesis of a club, in other words. We all have our likes and dislikes, but when we assume that they trump the likes and dislikes of other participants and try to shut them up, that's when it gets ugly and unpleasant. I enjoy good-natured, and even sharply pointed banter, (OK, I <i>especially</i> enjoy sharply pointed banter!) but if the majority of your participation consists in expressing contempt for the other participants, perhaps that should be considered grounds for a moderator-imposed 'time out.'

al kaplan is probably the nicest person in pn, ( even jay liked him...!!!) and i

always enjoy what he got to say here at the leica forum and in the other

forums he participates at. by the way, if someone is planning a visit to

cuernavaca,mexico, let me know and we can have a steak and a few cold

ones after a shooting trip.