Cartier-Bresson: Canon user?

john dorfman

</i></i></i></i></i></i></i></i></i></i></i></i></i></i></i></i></i>

</i></i></i></i>

Nice summary Tom. A-Bob, I suspect what Tom meant were the 25% left who are oriented

towards making great photographs, as opposed to camera owners. 25% seems high

though.

www.citysnaps.net

Why is it such a human trait to pose questions in absolute dichotomies, in black and white so to speak. What nonsense to allege that the camera and lenses that Cartier-Bresson didn't make any difference to the photographs he took or their quality. Without the invention of this camera--and others like it that followed--no one could have moved about "on the run" to take the type of photographs that he and others like him took before WWII and after. Yes, he could have taken good photographs with a different camera, but not those photographs. The two were bound up together, in some ratio of contribution. Let's start at 50/50, but certainly not 100/0. The same applies to my own photographs. I've taken photographs with the best Nikon prime lenses on a N80, and I can assure you based on my own opinion and that of others who have seen them, the ones taken with the Leica and Leica lenses are different and usually look better (apart from the subject matter and composition itself). Please no more comments about Cartier-Bresson not being dependent upon his Leica. Of course he was, or he would have used something else. And before you jump back in, this does not contradict anyone's opinion that he could have taken great photographs with a different camera. That's a no brainer.