I have an M4 and I am looking for a second body. The 2 options I am

considering are an M6 and a hexar rf. I am aware of their different

features, and both feature and cost wise I am leaning towards the

hexar, but I live on an island where I have no access to a hexar so

I'd like to ask you how noisy it actually is compared not to the

M6, but to, for instance, an OM1. I'm planning to use it with a 21mm

Kobalux lens in crowded scenes, but very close to the people I am

shooting. Thanks for any input on this.

I've got one. I'd actually say it's "not as quiet" as an M6, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it "noisy." I haven't found it distracting. The film advance motor sounds exactly like a Contax G1 or G2 (it's probably the same motor). I use mine with the original leather case, which seems to do a pretty good job buffering it. I would say the OM1's mirror slap is probably louder.

I don't have an OM1, but can compare the Hexar RF to both an M6 TTL & a Kyocera Contax G2. As Alan noted, the Hexar RF is not a noisy camera, w/the main noise being the motor advance (shutter is not much louder, if @ all, than the M6). If you're shooting on the street or in crowded public areas, no one will notice the camera--the only possibly noteworthy noise occurs when you reach the end of a roll & the camera automatically rewinds. However, if you're shooting in a really quiet environment like a classical music recital or chess match, then it may become obtrusive.

i had a konica for about two years before i sold it (to a PN member) this year. it's a great camera. is it as quiet as an M? no. most of the noise comes from the motor advance. the shutter is about average...probably as loud as my M4-P. i shoot in crowds a lot and i think typical ambient noise of the street should mask the sound pretty well. just cough at the same time you release the shutter :) if you let off a shot or two, then it shouldn't be a problem...but continuous shooting will attract attention....if you do get a hold of one, i've found that it's slightly quieter if you shoot in continuous mode as oppose to single shot...just my observation...

I was at a presentation last night. The photo-journalists were all using DSLRs. I found the noise they made obtrusive - they made a lot more noise than I expected. I usually use a Hexar RF, and do not find it to be noisy. I does however make a audible sound - so if it is really really quiet it might be too noisy. It cannot be compared to old Canon FD (a1, T90 etc) cameras - these are noisy IMHO.

I had the om1(great quiet small cloth shutter slr with one of the

best finder ever) and I have the hexar rf and M. As noted above,

the advance makes the most noise else it is quite quiet.

Though using the kabolux in close distance, you are going to get

noticed anyway. Perhaps get a bessa L and save $500.

I just bought a Hexar RF, and I was surprised by the noise. The shutter is

about the same volume as the first 'click' from the OM1; the wind-on is about

the same volume, but higher in pitch, than the OM1's mirror slap. Of course, at

some point you're going to wind on the OM1, too, so THAT will make a noise,

but of course you can delay winding on till a later moment. In a crowded

scene, with three or four people moving or talking it wouldn't be a problem,

likewise outdoors, but indoors with just a couple of people it would be

audible, altho probably not intrusive.<p>

I got the impression from photo.net that the RF was only a little louder than the

AF in non-silent mode - I would say it's at least twice as loud. But as Miguel

knows, I found that otherwise the Hexar was much better than its rep,

including the viewfinder, and the solidity of its build.

<I>The question is not whether the camera is intrusive, but whether you are.</I><P>

That's what it boils down to. In September I had the pleasure of attending a panel

discussion by William Eggleston, Andy Grundberg, and Bill Christenberry. During the

discussion a guy sitting in front of me had a leica and was snapping some pix - amazing

how loud it was. And what an ass he was.

www.citysnaps.net

Yes, an ass with a quiet camera is still an ass. Still, I had both the Hexar RF and an M in my bag for wedding work at one time, and I always used the M during the ceremony. Most times the noise of the RF isn't a factor -no one would ever notice during the reception - but that high-frequency electric motor winder noise really carries in a church. Too bad they never offered the silent wind option from the Hexar AF on the Hexar RF!