Slide film reccomondation

Hi everyone. I've decided to try my luck at slide photography. I know

it's similar to negatives, but this is my first time with slide film.

Which film do you recommend for extreme fine grain and resoloution,

and clarity (specs for good enlagements). I'm currently deciding

between Fujichrome Provia 400 F Prof, Fujichrome Astia 100 Prof,

Fujichrome Provia100F Prof, Kodak Ektachrome E100S and Agfacolor Vista

100. Thanks for your time.

Hi mate!

First, welcome to PN. Hope you find it fun!

Next, IMO slide is not really similar to negatives. You'll need to process 'em at a place that does E6 processing, and you'll need to be very spot on with your camera's metering.

Finally, I don't do much printing so I can't help here. Plus I've only tried provia in 120 format, and have not used the others. I've printed that kinda provia to 8R, but seriously, 8R doesn't test 120 format - I took two pictures using the same film using a 135 and 120, the 135 at 8R gives me exact same detail. Probably need to blow it up bigger to test the film.

Alvin

If this is your first try, any will do. You can then decide after a few rolls and different situations if you would like to change the color balance and contrast by choosing a different film.

It is not that similar to shooting negatives as you may think. You start to actually think how to expose correctly...! this is almost no factor in negatives. The contrast range that can be captured on slides is much smaller, so unlike negatives you can't get different highlight/shadow choices out of one exposure.

I would stay with Fuji and Kodak films, and not try 400 speed, it is still grainier than 100 speed, which may be a factor for enlargements, unless you really need the speed.

Initially, I would pick a neutral balance, moderate contrast, slightly enhanced saturation ISO 100 film, such as the Kodak E100G (replaced E100S) or perhaps consumer films Kodak Elite Chrome 100 (not extra color) or Sensia 100.

You then know whether you want more color and contrast (Velvia 50 & 100F, E100VS) or less (Astia 100F) or cooler balance (Provia 100F, Kodachrome 64) or warmer balance (E100GX, Velvia 50 & 100F).

Do not start with a high contrast film because 1/2 stop in exposure can then be the difference between a succeeded and a failed shot, which can be hard to know in the beginning. Bracket you shots, especially in contrasty situations. Good luck!

I agree with Oscar. If it was me, I'd start with Sensia because it is more forgiving than the pro films.

Other than that it is personal preference and shooting conditions.

-I use Velvia 100F for landscape photography. It has very saturated colors. It tends to favor reds and greens so isn't really suited for people.

-I like Astia for people because it is a little more bias towards browns. This means it isn't as good for landscape, unless you like the muddy look.

-Provia is a good all purpose film. It's what I use most the time. You may notice a slight blue cast in the shadows.

-Another good all purpose film is Kodak 100VS.

There are some good film guides on the web if you search around a little.

Have fun,

Patrick

E100S is long replaced by E100G. But unless you're shooting in studio conditions, use E100GX instead. E100G will get blue shadows outside. (Which is what color they really are, but we don't see it that way.)

400 slide film is all rather grainy. If you need the speed, color negative is the way to go.

You didn't say whether you're shooting indoors or outdoors: In addition to needing to nail your exposure, you also need to pay close attention to the white balance (a/k/a color temperature, white point). Outdoors daytime is easy: E100GX is about $5 per roll at Adorama & B&H, and it's a good all-purpose fine grained film suitable for people as well as architecture.

You may also want to invest in a Tiffen 812 color enhancing filter: You can pick them up used on eBay.

Indoors is tricky: Incandescent bulbs give a nasty yellowish flash, while fluorescent light gives an even sicklier greenish cast. If you have to shoot indoors, use outdoor film and flash... And turn OFF as many of the fluorescent, halogen and incandescent lights as you can.

For processing in the beginning, buy the $3.99 Fuji mailers: The quality is "close enough for government work." :)

Above all... Have fun!

First off Agfa Vista is a consumer printi film. Ct. Precisa is the consumer slide film. If I were you I'd start with something pretty forgiving. Maybe Astia or Ct Precisa(rsx II is the pro version). Then once you have experience exposing for slide film, start testing others to find what you like. I'm a big fan of Kodachrome, but DO NOT start there whatever you do. It has zero latitude.

Try Sensia 100 (warm color balance, forgiving/easy to use) or Kodak Elite Chrome 200 (for increased speed. also easy to use).

Buy your film online - either bhphoto.com or adorama.com - and buy the imported, or "grey market" versions. The same as domsetic films, but a lot less $$$. Sensia should run you about $2.99 a roll, EC200 about $3.99. Dont waste your money buying locally, you cant beat these New York mass suppliers!

Above all - TRY SLIDES, YOU WILL LOVE THEM. And dont worry about exposure - I am relatively new to photography, but get great results with my cheap Canon Rebel G II. Only had blow outs once, when trying to shoot in a very contrasty situation.

HAVE FUN!

"I was wondering, what is point of mounting slides? is because they won't be damaged, or easier to view, or what? And also, is there a protective layer around the slide in the mount i.e. like gladwrap. thanks"

If you intend to project the slides or use a viewer, they pretty much have to be mounted. I suppose you could view unmounted slides on a light table, but I'd worry about scratching. The mount keeps the film itself from resting on the surface. If you intend to scan them or immediately have them printed, it might be easier to keep them in strips unmounted, but mounted slides are easier to handle otherwise. There is no protective layer in conventional cardboard or plastic mounts. For that you'd have to go to glass mounts, not a common option these days.