Delta 400 vs HP5 vs HP4

alfred_alfred

Ilford HP5 and Delta 400 have a nominal ASA of 400, FP4 has a nominal ASA of 125. Delta 400 is finer grained than HP5 and its tonality is different, Delta 400 being a 'new technology' film (i.e. delta-grain). HP5 has always been known as a 'photojournalists' film while Delta 400 is intended more for 'fine art' photographers, but it's not as cut and dried as that in reality.

As always, recommended film speeds are just a starting point -- the way you meter and the developer/dilution you use are what really decides if your HP5+ is 160 as in Rodinal at 1+100, 200 as in PMK 1+2+100, or 400+ in 1+3 Xtol.<P>So you really should match what you have available to your requirements.<P>And if you don't soup your own films? I'd use XP2 Super or Kodak's chromogenic and let the one hour photo place do your negs in their machine.

J.F. Negrete , nov 02, 2004; 01:28 a.m.

Russ, which developer do you use on Fuji? And what time/ytemperature combo? Dou you use conderser enlarger? Thanks.

J.F.

I have a pro lab, soup my B/W films now. I do know that they use X-Tol. If you want more information, I'll gladly ask them for you. Would you like me to? Have you tried the Neopan 400? It's phenomenal film. Ever since discovering it, I have totally abandoned Tri-X and HP-5. I burn it @ 320.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...
I've gotten great negs from Neopan 400, rated at 125 (I use a yellow filter over the lens) and developed in my Phenidone/Vitamin C homebrew for 7'15" at 70F. The homebrew is 1 tsp. Kodalk (metaborate), 1/2 tsp. Vit. C powder, and 4 ml 1%Phenidone per liter of water. Agitation 2 inversions every 30 sec. Same developer works great with Delta 400 (rated at 200) and developed for 6' at 70F.