Pushing Konica Infrared 750

I am thinking about taking infrared pictures in not very safe places,

so I don?t think using my heavy (055+029) tripod will be a good idea.

I am planning to push Konica IR 750 1 stop to be able to use the speed

I want. I already used 1/30 and f/5.6 in very bright sun and developed

in ID-11 1:1 8,5 minutes at 20? C with very good results (at least to

my eyes), this was an advice from a "friend" of photo.net, a very good

one!

As I plan to be using a 28mm lens, the 1/60 speed will be very good

for what I want, at f5.6 my lens is very sharp already.

Have any of you pushed this film 1 stop? and 2 stops (in case I want

to use my 50mm too)? Any comments about the quality? I am that kind of

person that doesn?t hate seeing grain in pictures and my plan is to

print maximum at 18x12 inches. I am thinking of again use ID-11 1:1

but don?t know what development time to begin with. The pictures for

me are very important, but I have only 3 rolls more to use, and I

don?t live in a country that sells IR film. So testing it is not

possible I think...

Any comments or sugestions will be very much apreciated. Thanks!

Konica doesn't know the development time either - they have two different recommendations. But you are thinking about IR film the wrong way. You really need to test exposure and development combinations to get good results. The film does not quite react to under and overexposure as normal films - it losses too much density with even a stop less exposure and it blocks up quikly when given too much. Over development can make extremely contrasty negatives. Since push processing is underexposure and overdevelopment, you will need to do a lot of testing. I would say push processing is NOT going to give good results.

The reason for testing is that it is hard to determine the levels of IR radiation. It varies greatly with weather, time of day, and time of year. The conditions in Japan can be very different from your conditions. A light meter is only a guide. It cannot measure IR directly. I would shot and develop your rolls one by one since you have such a limited supply to see what happens. You will understand the problems better and may be able to get some nice results by the time you hit the third roll (maybe by the second too).

BTW, I have never been able to use my camera without a tripod when shooting IR film because of the slow speed and the required filtration. If you shot without filters, you might as well use normal film.

• 3 months later...
I use Konica Infrared 135 at 100 ASA and almost never I have had the need to use a tripod. I have also use Konica Infrared 135 at 200 ASA and got beautiful results. Developing times I use with very good resultas are: For 100 ASA, XTOL 1:1, 20�C, 18 1/2 minuts. For 200 ASA. XTOL 1:1, 20�C, 28 minuts. I have enlarger my negatives up to 150 cms by 100 cms with great results.