More protests

varjag

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken yet another look at Eugene's work here and like it even

better than before. This is not only excellent documentary

photography but also excellent photography, period.

The one that particularly moves me is the father holding a photograph

of his "disappeared" son. I also like the girl with the sign on her

back saying "Zavtra ya tozhe priidu"--"Tomorrow I too will come

here." All the photographs are very good--equally good in their own

way.

And as a writer and photographer I am both humbled and encouraged by

Eugene's work.

<i><blockquote> funny folks, hope you think about your own democracy and human

rights as well, over there, in the land of the free. </blockquote> </i><p>

Yes, let's think about politics and forget about photography. That's why this is

politics.net, isn't it....

Half the photography in the world--maybe more--is directly involved with politics in some way. I don't mean just protests but also pictures of politians, news conferences, wars and so on. TV news is (surprise, surprise) is mostly photography involved with poltics.

Eugene is documenting what is happening on the streets of Belarus at the moment. Millions of photographers are doing the same thing the world over.

There are people who see only living room and bedroom art photography as being worthy of praise. That's all fine and dandy. But it is also a luxury that is paid for by people who do not wish to be mental castratti and are involved in guarding democracy like the people Eugene photographed.

Alex,

By coming up with artificial facts you neuter your own argument and just provoke people further. Let's be realistic. For every Time Magazine or National Geographic there are dozens of fashion magazines filled with non-political photography. For every Television network with 6 O'clock and 11 O'clock news there are 22 other hours of television.

I don't think any of these pictures are particularly pleasing or technically superb. I do feel that they have affected many of their viewers exactly as Eugene was hoping. Since this is a very common goal in photography, I would have to label them a success.

Aesthetics, petty debates about photography's mixture with politics aside (save it for the ballots) I for one care about what is happening in Belarus and I'm thankful to have seen these. You have my encouragement and praise Eugene-- the BBC doesn't paint a rosy picture of consequences for dissenters.

very well presented. outstanding impact/

v celom ochen probiraet i bol'no smotret' na to chto tvoritsya v strane, otkuda u nas stolko urodov nabralos v maskah i s avtomatami za Luky postoyat? ne govorya pro tex kto naverx proschemilsya ne ostanavlivayas dazhe pered ubiistvami nevinovnyh ludei/

zdorovo i pravdivo otsnyal vse! molodec!

Of these photos, I would say that I think "Standing for the Son" shows some promise, but the rest just aren't compelling images: I respect your committment, and I'm a firm believer in protest photography, but at the end of the day, the images must be able to stand alone and capture the viewer's attention. The majority of these, IMHO, don't succeed.

Keep it up, though, as you have an important story to tell.

Ege..<br>

With virtually the same "velvet" "people" revolution scenario, that has been run and re-run in Jugoslavia and Georgia to install despicable american puppets for presidents in the bushist and neocon drive to conquer the world now being tried in Belarus,

there appeared some Eugene Zakonnikov with his own burning wish to help "democracy" there?<br>

Is it not enough for you that the results of the second world war have been reversed, a great country robbed, and its population reduced to poverty? <br>

Don't you have brains to see - or honesty to admit - that the leaders of the "democratic" movements get paid with money directly allocated by Congress, exactly like radio Liberty is?<br>

You are either criminally naive - if you believe in the american-style "democracy" in 2004, after destruction of Jugoslavia and attempted pillage of Iraq (where the animals have already killed about 100,000 - at their own loss of approximately 10,000) -- or you are one of those who get paid with dollars for betraying your own country.

<p>

Thank god bat'ka has enough balls to kick you dogs out of the way and not let you stage one more "velvet revolutions" designed by CIA and paid through Soros.<br>

<p>Thanks everyone for the comments. Your support is appreciated and the critiques give some food for thought.

<p>To Vlad.. don't watch Belarussian TV too much, this can be dangerous to mental health: soon enough you'll start seeing an enemy at every corner, which is a sure sign of progressing paranoia. I won't address your ridiculous accusations; I went there just because I care about being a free person in a free country, and do not want to spend the rest of my life under Lukashenko's rule. Some people enjoy being at the receiving end of BDSM games with the government, but I don't subscribe to this kind of relationship.

<p>On the other hand, if you're so certain that all opposing voices are paid by evil westerners, please tell me where can I get my share. I could definitely find a use for some money.

Eugene, keep the photos coming. May I add that I think that technically they are an improvement over your first batch. I do not mean in terms of composition but in terms how you have managed to render them on the web.

You might add commentary. Not many people know about the situation in Belarus. You even have to dig a bit at the A.I. site, and their information, while good, is somewhat limited.

Good luck and be careful.

<p>:)

<p>The folks suggest me to use either Tri-X pushed to 1600 or a 800 ISO color neg. I've used color negative for the first attempt: 800 ISO has proven unusable without flash and 1600 ISO was barely usable. On the better lit square they could perform better though.

<p>Trying a BW film is actually good idea, considering that street lighting there has such a nasty uneven spectrum. I haven't seen 35mm Tri-X for some time here; only a couple of expired 120 rolls.. maybe I should bring out my Moskva 2 next time: it should scare the sh*t out of the police :) But there is Ilford Delta 3200 135 on sale, maybe it is worth trying.

<p>Alex, thanks for the kind words. I have some information on the situation here in my opinionated <a href="http://www.boblycat.org/~varjag/blog/">weblog</a>; scroll to the bottom for a brief introduction. More information can be found e.g. on the <a href="http://www.charter97.org/eng/news/">Charter'97 website</a>.<div>00A0Gy-20310784.JPG.67c81e450ca3d44a083e37024f90c290.JPG</div>

Sachlamares = nonsense ??? I guess so, lol. ughr ... Saloniki, Peter you colour loving devil.

Eugene, yeah 800 or 1600 ISO will take care of your problem nicely, whatever color or b&w. It's good to have an extra stop of light in situation where there's no time for thinking -- you can preset your camera and concentrate on composition. And hey, the more nay sayers and insults you get the more it means your pics make people respond and that's success. I just saw a book called Subway by the Czech photographer Peter Peter (he's got a double exposure name :0) with really good photographs from the nyc subway -- light is always a big challenge while shooting underground and PP did this a great job with his little 3 megapixel (i think) digital camera. I was impressed as the pics looked very much in the tradition of nyc street photography (except, all pics were soooo sharp, lol). But PP shot thousands of rolls before he picked 77 which got published (three years day by day on a subway!).Good luck and keep on shootin'

<p><i>grant . , oct 29, 2004; 12:57 a.m.

are you all on crack....these pix suck....</i></p>

<p>You might want to Google the name "Lukashenko". It was pretty risky to take these pictures. He's pretty much the last Stalinist dictator in Eastern Europe. +</p>

<p>But even if it weren't risky, the last photo, "standing for son" would be a good photo if it had been taken in New York. It reminds me a bit of some of the Gregory Scott photographs in the current edition of "Lenswork". The photo of the man's son provides endless opporunties to compare it to the "real" man standing "live" in the photo. </p>

<i><blockquote> It was pretty risky to take these pictures. </blockquote> </i><p>

If danger or difficulty was a valid consideration in judging the artistic value of a photo,

then elderly, one-legged, half-blind large format photographers ought to be

considered masters of the form. <p>