Holga?

anbeck

Hello there,

I've just recently learned about the Holga-Website (<www.holga.net>).

What is your opinion of the cheap Holgas? Just a cheap plastic thing

that's crap? Or an interesting gimmick? Or a not-so-expansive way to

try medium format?

What can they be used for? Do you use slide or negative film? Does

anybody have some pictures that were taken with a Holga?

Thanks,

Andre

(Holgas) beat Hasselblads at every turn, and for good reason: 1) Holgas float! 2) you don?t have to buy a separate $65 Vignetting Filter; and 3) no one bothers to steal them. They?re even optically superior, carefully filtering out excessive sharpness so that realism doesn?t get mistaken for reality. -Ted Orland

Personally I think Holga's are great, and I even have a "real" 6x6 camera as well.

They're only about $16 so obviously they are in fact cheap peices of crap, but they're

fun. There have been full-scale art shows based around there images. They have

interesting light leaks which you can either keep, or tape up with gaffer tape. The

leaks and quirks vary from camera to camera, so you might have five Holgas each

with its own personallity. I have shot Velvia in mine, but you only really have one

exposure setting so you've got to have the exact light for a slide film. High latitude

films like Tri-x and other print films are very popular with these cameras. if you've

got a sunny day you might get a couple good shots with slide film. You can pull a lot

more out of a negative which in this case will help. They've even got a hot shoe. At

one point I had about $1800 in lighting hooked up to a $16 camera via radioslave. It

was pretty fun. It's a plastic box, so you can't take it too seriously. Also, don't leave it

in your car during summer heat. They can and will melt. Lesson learned.

Hey Andre.

My impression is that many people hate these little cameras (someone was shipping his for free with free film and batteries just as long as he doesn't have to hear that name again...) but some people really love them... photo.net user <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=411364"> S.LIU has an Holga Gallery </a> in his portfolio... pretty good examples there...

1) Click on the "Search" link at the top of the page

2) Type in "Holga"

3) Click the search button

4) Read how people either really love it or really hate it.

My thought: for so little money, there's no reason to not at least try it...

Oh, David Burnett, photographing for Newsweek, won some sort of award for his shot of Al Gore on the campaign trail. He used a Holga.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/essays/vanRiper/010706.htm

Thanks for the responses. Now I'm really enthusiastic about it and I will order one. Do you have some tips for "artistic use"? For instance filters. I saw some photos with cool warm colours. Does this depend on the unique "weirdness" of the camera I will get, or do you recommend some funny filters?

Andre

Just have a look here at the work of Perry Dilbeck using the humble Holga, stunning work.

There is just too much camera snobbery out there, a $1500 camera doesn't see the picture it is your eye that does that.

http://www.southsideoxford.com/photographers/perry_dilbeck/

http://www.photoeye.com/Gallery/forms/index.cfm?image=1&id=36382&imagePosition=1&Door=2&Portfolio=Portfolio2&Gallery=2

I've read that 400 speed film is a good all-around choice for a Holga, given it's fixed aperture (about f/8) and shutter speed (about 1/100). I favor color film, usually something like Astia. Can anyone recommend a 400 speed negative or slide color film that they've had good luck with?

Some people hate them, some say they are "fun" (whatever that means, for a Holga anyway). Bottom line is any camera can take a good image, Holgas included. I, for one, think using a Holga severely limits you. The "Holga" look can be duplicated in PS or other image-editing program quite easily. Many Holga users think they are more "artsy" because the camera gives vignetted, scratchy-looking, light-leaked images. IMHO it takes more talent to take a good Holga image, but I guess the images do have a unique look. <p>But when you say "a not-so-expansive way to try medium format?" do not be lead into thinking that the Holga somehow fits into the realm of MF cameras in some way as to properly introduce you into the world of MF. For that consider a used Seagull, or Rolleicord, Minolta Autocord or Yashicamat. Used Rolleicords can be had in beater but good working condition for about $50 on eBay. Not much more than a Holga. <p>The Holga is probably the least MF camera of medium format cameras, at least in terms of the real "qualities" one can get from using MF cameras.

Holga with a Polaroid back and Type 85 P/N film. <strong>Huge</strong> negative.

Great detail. Wonderful tones.

<blockquote>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=423082">Composites with

Holga Polaroids</a>

<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=416439">First couple pics I

shot</a>

<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=419587">Lots of nudity -

don't go there if you will be offended</a>

</blockquote>

I have some more to upload eventually - scanning sucks, but.

<p>

The Polaroid back is like US$80+ - but the Type 85 film is a kick. I shot the nudes (we

were being really silly and stupid - in case that is not obvious) using a radio trigger in the

hot shoe to drive two Speedotron monolites with Octodome softboxes. The irony was not

missed on us:-) What was surprising was the detail the Holga was capturing - really

unexpected (but the Polaroid neg is like 3.25" x 3.125" - big).

<p>

My studio camera of choice now...

Beepy,

Thanks for the post....

I have one of the 'nice' Holgas with Cable Release and Bulb settings. I wasn't

aware that the Polaroid back was full-frame (thought it was 6x6 or 6x4.5).

I just ordered one and some Film...will use it on a shoot next week.

P.S. To those who think it can be easily emulated in Photoshop.....whatever.

I own a pretty good arsenal of Hasselblad, Mamiya, Graflex, Rolleiflex so I

don't confuse Holga with Medium Format. But Holga can look very nice if you

know what you are doing.

jmp

Q: How fo you double the value of a Holga?

A: Put film in it.

I've taken pictures with a Holga, it's a lot of fun, but not serious. I have a 35mm $3 camera that competes well with the Holga in terms of edge softness, but can't catch it for vignetting. I've used negative film, primarily ISO 400, but I put a roll of TMX through mine as well.

I haven't been crazy enough to load mine with slide film (yet).

So, on <a href="http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=16020">my

previously useless bio page</a> towards bottom I have several links to Polaroid and

Holga resources. One cool thing (well to me:-) is yanking the neg and print apart and

flashing it or simply exposing it to light to trigger Sabattier effect (solarization). It really

works well with the vignetting on the large neg.

<p>

Photoshop comment is amusing. While one could simulate Holga effects and

distortions in Photoshop, it seems a lot simpler to pay the US$20 or so and simply shoot

the Holga...

<p>

Oh yeah - an extra special feature of the Polaroid back is it blocks the viewfinder on the

Holga:-) People really don't take you seriously when you're waving a camera over your

head trying to roughly point it in the direction of the object you are trying to photograph.

(Don't buy the optional wire frame viewfinder:-)

Sure the "look" can be emulated in PS. Why the "whatever"? Sorry you do not like my opinion. And sorry you chose not answer with more aplomb. <p>Anyway, at least using PS with a better resulting neg or slide to begin with I preserve the ability do both. I can create a technically good neg or slide and make use of it that way, or I can use PS and with a 2-3 tools create a "Holga" effect. I'm not pooh-poohing the Holga, it has it's place (I had a Lubitel I had "fun" with for a while until it fell apart). But I just prefer more control for my valuable film $$$ than to just shot with a retarded camera (in the true sense of the word, it is) and hope something interesting results.

Richard,

I say "Whatever" because I have lots of funky cameras....Graflex Super D, Polaroid 180,

Polaroid 680, Polaroid 600SE, Lomo, Holga.

The concept of shooting just being a collection of raw data isn't interesting to me. When

you "properly" shoot with any of those cameras, you shoot for the medium. With

experience you know what will and will not work for the different films and cameras.

Similar to shooting for B&W...sure you can decide later that a shot should be Grainy,

Saturated Color, B&W, Blurry, sharp....but if you know what and why you are shooting you

can pre-visualise how it will look and capitalize on it beforehand. It influences the shot.

As for Photoshop emulation....I haven't seen convincing Digital emulation of Film

overexposure/saturatation much less all of the other bizarre things that happen in these

cameras.

As for the Lubitel....I don't think it has a 'purpose'. It is just a crappy version of a TLR. I

didn't think it really had a character to speak of.

jmp

Andre, welcome to Holga club. It is a lot of fun to shoot with this camera. I recommend two more websites to you:

<p>

<a href="http://www.toycamera.com">www.toycamera.com</a>

<p>

<a href="http://www.holgamods.com">www.holgamods.com</a>

<p>

<i>

What is your opinion of the cheap Holgas?

</i>

<p>

It is a toy, not a tool. (For fun not for job)

<p>

<i>

Just a cheap plastic thing that's crap?

</i>

<p>

If you have fun with a toy, it is not crap.

<p>

<i>

Or an interesting gimmick?

</i>

<p>

The same answer, if you lose interest, it is not interesting any more.

<p>

<i>

Or a not-so-expansive way to try medium format?

</i>

<p>

No, the expense on film outruns the camera after first two rolls of film ;-)

<p>

<i>

What can they be used for?

</i>

<p>

As any toys.

<p>

<i>

Do you use slide or negative film?

</i>

<p>You can use any 120 film. The most exotic film I have used is Agfa Scala 200 B&W slide film.

<p>

<i>

Do you have some tips for "artistic use"?

</i>

<p>

Look for interesting light and angles. Forget about art when you shoot. Don't overshoot or backet. Each image is unique, even light leak happens.

<p>

<i>

Fo For instance filters.

</i>

<p>

You can use filters, just hold them in front of the lens.

<p>

<i>

I saw some photos with cool warm colours. Does this depend on the unique "weirdness" of the camera I will get, or do you recommend some funny filters?

</i>

<p>

Most of the warm colors of my photos come from two sources:

1. Light leak.

2. An interesting Kodak Slide film, E100 SW (Saturated Warm), I bought five rolls of them at B&H last time when it was expired and the cheapest 120 film.

3. Combination of both.

<p>

Some personal advice: don't get too emotional (happy/mad) with it. Shoot with a mentality different from "serious" cameras, i.e., don't be a control freak.

Holga is an interesting & beautiful concept. But, I just wanted to bring in the other point of view in terms of $$$. With the Polaroid back and other accessories added to this thing, wouldn't the price comes to around $100.

<br><br>

If you are patient, you should be able to get a very nice Rolleicord TLR for about the same price. And, you will get Schneider lenses in your camera for that $100.

<br><br>

The older Schneider lenses has very beautiful bokeh and provides lots of punch for your B&W.

<br><br>

Unless you are really after the Holga effect and not gravitating towards it because of the cost, then go for it. If cost is the issue, think carefully, there are other more plausible ways to enter the Medium Format world with German lenses on your camera.

I have one and I found out the hard way that it's not easy to control the image with the Holga.

Firstly, my unit has horrible light leaks that really pisses me off. I have taped the whole thing but there's still this bit that cuts into all my photos. Some people can use it to their advantage, but I prefer to be able to control it, to decide when I want to have light leaks and when not to.

Secondly, the zone focusing thing takes awhile to get used to. My solution, get an accessory rangefinder and attach it to the 'hotshoe'.

I'm thinking of getting the modified Holga with the flocking and real f/8-11 aperture to see if I can have better luck with it.

But I think the key to using the Holga or any other lomo type camera is the attitude and the spontaneous style to the photo. Also, be prepared to spend quite a lot of money with wasted film and development.

My hOLGA traveled to California, Florida, Maine, England and Peru. If it gets a chance it would go to Disneyland at the drop of a dime. Get it modified and get it colored. People all over the world really love my new wOCA, the purple camera held together with red velcro :) I shoot Velvia/Tri-x/160 Negative (Fuji or Kodak). Try it with a flash. Run a test roll through the camera before any "serious" shooting to determine whether the shutter needs to be "taped" to fix any light leaks - think triangular flares in the image - and you'll soon be disecting the shutter. Don't worry, I'm known as a hammer and plier type of guy and even I could repair this. If you don't like the Holga you could alway soak it in lighter fluid or gasoline and see what interesting sculpture occurs after striking a match. . . .

Thanks to all of you, I can't wait to get it. I still have some questions:

1) What about processing and printing? Does your "next-street lab" process and print 6x6 (though most probably you can't speak for german labs)? How big are the prints? And how much more expansive are those prints? I can't process them by myself, since I want to start with colour photos.

2) I've seen on websites that sell Holgas that they also sell coloured flashs. Has anybody ever tried those? What effect do I get when I use a red flash in daylight, for instance?

Thanks again,

Andre