Negative Film recommendation for Ireland trip in October

Hi all,

I'll be taking a 2 week driving trip in Ireland at the beginning of

October. Usually, for landscapes, I like Agfa Ultra 100 for its

saturated colors, however, I believe I'll need a faster film, such as

400 ISO for the overcast skies in the Emerald Isle.

There are so many recommendations from 100 ISO to 800 ISO in various

reviews, and was wondering what some of you have actually used, and

what specific films you might recommend, taking into account I like

the saturated look.

Any new films that I consider will be tried out prior to the trip, so

that I'll have some idea of what to expect.

Your input is appreciated.

Kodak Ultra Color 400

But, you should seriously consider slide film also, particularly something like Velvia 100F (awesome greens!), plus the faster iso 200 slides (Kodak and Fuji both great).

I know, you want photos, I understand. But, I was pleasantly suprised to learn last week that the Fuji Frontier printers found at Walmarts and Walgreens across the country, can scan slide film and print pictures from them! $.29/image at my local Walgreens. The suprisingly knowledgeable technician also said they can scan 36 slides to CD ROM for $2.99, not bad.

You could have the best of both worlds, slides and prints of the best shots! (oh ya, and digital also!)

The Fuji Frontier can print/scan slides, but it's ability to do is is not nearly up to the level it can handle negs. If you think you can just load up with slide film and have the Frontier proof them like negs, you are in a for a serious dissapointment.

If you want prints, shoot print film, or buy your own film scanner.

Kodak Portra UC 400 (now called Ultra Color I think), is the best 400 speed print film on the market. Seriously the top contender for what Rich is looking for.

You should try Fuji NPH and Kodak Ultra Color 400. I prefer NPH but others prefer UC400. IMO, UC400 has slightly more punch and may be sharper, but NPH has more subtlety and better skin tones. If you can, take your test negatives to several quality labs using different printing equipment and paper to determine which combination works best for you. It will make a big difference.

• 2 weeks later...
once again kodak 400 ultra colour, take plenty of film and batteries they are expensive in Ireland.Or you can order all your film etc. from www.7dayshop.com and have it waiting for you at your accomodation, deliveries usually take 4-5 days. Oh and be sure not to forget your wellington boots and waterproofs. Good luck with the weather, Norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've now done the comparison shots and thank everyone for their input. Chris's analysis was right on, and since I'm looking for the punchiest film for landscapes, am going with the Ultra Color.

Took some shots down at the NJ shore under gray, cloudy conditions (remnants of Hurricane Frances)and the extra contrast made a huge difference. Grain was not a problem. Some sunny shots gave color which jumped off the page (which I like, but may not be good for everyone.)

Am leaving on trip in early October, and am tremendously looking forward to the adventure and the photography.

Thanks again.