Twelve Hours in Paris

paulstenquist

Thanks for the comments. Since these photos were the result of a single walkaround, I've

included some that I might not have otherwise. For example, I added a few landmarks just

to establish a sense of place. As far as the rude comment is concerned, I should have just

ignored it. I don't see anything posted for this "Grant" other than a few silly comments

here and there. I obviously shold have considered the source.

Paul

Thanks for the html tip.

I had a great time. I must have walked at least 20 miles. I started at Montparnasse and

criss-crossed through residential and shopping areas until I found my way to the Eifel

Tower. All along the way, I would step into stores and get a shot of two. From the tower

I headed across the river, up the Champs Elysees (sp?) to the Louvre. I then crossed

back over the river and wandered around the Latin Quarter. I found my way back to

Montparnasse by evening and shot some pans on the street. I finished up by walking back

toward the Latin Quarter on some commercial streets. I've been a photographer for thirty

years. This was by far the most fun I've ever had in one day.

<i>Andrew, Where are your photos? I don't see anything here.</i><p>

One's photographs have nothing to do with their ability to critique someone else's. This is basic, although there is this naive assumption on these forums that having a photo somewhere automatically qualifies you to criticize, and conversely, that if you don't have any photos posted, you can't criticize.<p>

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Criticism comes from an ability to look at things, not to photograph.

<i>simply reflect the reflexive responses of the viewer - reflecting their current state of mind/prejudice(s) and natural biases.</i><p>

This is true, but it's true of positive and negative comments. You'll see that the original poster only attacked a negative poster for not having photos posted, and ignored the three posters before that with positive comments and no pictures posted. The only explanation is that there was no interest in the response of the viewer unless it was positive. And the negative poster was the only one to offer any specific comments!

I responded to many of the positive comments as well. However, as you say, most of them

were non specific and didn't really call for much of an answer. My response to Andrew was

inappropriate in that I mentioned only his lack of photos on photo.net. As you say, that's

irrelevant. I should have said that I disagree with his statement that these could have been

taken anywhere, and I don't think they are bad scans. It's pretty hard to judge a small scan

on the web. However, I generally look at a contributor's page before replying. A lot of

good work does tend to lend credibility. I was surprised to see nothing, and I mentioned it.

I apologize for that.