EyeOne + HP7960 still no perfect match

Dear all,

I recently acquired an EyeOne display for calibration of a IBM p260

CRT that is connected to my Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop. Initially, I

was quite happy with the color prints on my HP7960 but upon close

examination I noticed that pictures have a slight yellowish cast.

Since I'm quite fussy about these things I had hoped the EyeOne would

solve all problems regarding colour managment. I use the factory

profiles for the HP premium plus papers (glossy and matte). Now, the

signal quality of the external VGA port doesn't seem to be top notch

but nevertheless I thought that would automatically be taken into

account by the calibrator. I recently posted a question regarding

colour differences between PSCS and Irfanview where someone suggested

there could it be a problem with the EyeOne. What do you think? Should

I get custom profiles for the HP papers? Any further ideas?

Maybe I should add that I use the 59 cartridge for colour prints.

Colour managment is done by PS (PS print space: hp premium plus 8 ink,

printer driver set to ICM colour managment).

Thanks a lot in advance, Nico.

I have an EyeOne also (the cheap kit), and a 7960 as one among a couple printers. What I've found, despite all they glowing reviews of these automated color correction devices, is that I can adjust my Sony G500 manually (it allows very fine adjustments on the rgb guns) much better than the EyeOne can. What I learned is that the EyeOne was a moderately priced lesson in color management.

Thanks a lot George. It's dissapointing to be fallen once again for the marketing hype. I will probably try and get an exchange for my EyeOne as I find the price not quite so moderate.

Ellis: Of course you're right. My question in fact consists of two parts: experiences with EyeOne and quality of profiles for the HP papers. I will probably post the latter again in a different thread.

Hi Nico, I also have the Eye One Colorimeter and the HP7960 as well as an Epson 2200. All I can give you is an observation. When I print using my 2200, the color is *perfect* after calibrating. When I print to the HP in color, it's just as you describe - a yellowish tint that I can't get rid of, even if I desaturate the yellow *completely*. Fortunately for me, I typically just use the HP for B&W prints, so it hasn't been a huge problem. I have no idea what's up, but you're not alone. Best wishes . . .

The EyeOne (or any hardware display system) ONLY controls the color management of the

display and has no bearing on the output. You need to consider the role and accuracy of

the output profile. Is a custom profile? Are you viewing the image using a soft proof from

this accurate profile? Are you placing the prints under a 5000K lightbox and is the

environmental ambient conditions such that you're getting the best possible screen to

print matching? ANY issue with any of the above will produce an issue with screen to print

matching. You're expecting too much from the EyeOne, it only handles on part of the CMS.

Constance:

It was my understanding that colour management is best left to PS and not the printer driver. This means you set "Color space" under the "Color" tab to "ICM Color Management" and in PS use the according paper/ink profile in the print dialog. If you let the printer driver handle the colour management by setting "Color space" to what do you set as print space in the PS print dialog?

Thanks Conni, but I tried *everything*, including your suggestion. It certainly has me stumped. In the above-mentioned article by Ctein, he suggests yet another method, but that didn't work either. I've found that my 2200 is much cheaper to operate (ink-wise) than the HP, and fortunately it's dead-on for color. I just use the HP for B&W and it can't be beat for that. But I have no explanation - especially when I removed *all* the yellow with Hue/Saturation and still got a yellow print.