nikon 80-400mm /4.5-5.6D VR and nikon 70-200mm /2.8G ED IF

tina_lee1

Ignoring Ilkka's restricting advice (having a fixed 300 isn't very flexible)... I have to ask you if you ever shoot inside.

If you do any event or concert photography, you'll want the 200+2.0 for the flexibilty. If, on the other hand, you only stay outside and shoot birds all day then 400IS will be better suited.

It all comes down to if you're ever inside.

The 70-200mm with teleconverter will give you more flexibility, and when you use JUST the lens the quality and AF capacity will be superior. However, you will pay more for this combo and you will need to take the extra step of adding the teleconverter when you want to "go long." You decide. Personally, I own the 80-400mm. VR and I think it's terrific. As someone who is old enough to remember when we all had to manually focus, the slow AF is not a big issue for me.

Go with the TC20E II. I got rid of my 80-400 and went with the 80-200/2.8 AFS + the TC20E because off axis by 400mm the 80-400 was pretty soft while the other combination proved optically better overall. Centrally the 80-400 was very good though. Since I've read that the 70-200 beats the 80-200, I suspect the TC 20E II will do quite well.

On the contrary, fixed lenses allow you to use any aperture without softness, contrast & flare problems and gets you crisp images which the other choices won't. I'd much rather get a few good images than many blurred ones. But that's just me ...

I assumed "I ready had the lens 70-200mm" to mean that you already have this lens. Did I read incorrectly?

The 80-400mm. VR is NOT soft at 400mm. I have hundreds of very sharp, excellent images taken at 400mm. with this lens. Yes, a top-quality 400mm. lens (none of which are currently in production, save for the gigantic, expensive 400mm. f2.8) would provide marginally better quality wide open. But the 80-400mm. is quite a good performer at its tele end.