4 color glossy prints for magazine submission

A local business is submitting some pics I shot for them to a

magazine, which requires "4 color glossy prints" (no further details

are available). Is this something I can print on my 1280 (six

colors, though), or must they be traditonal chemical process prints,

or what? What do you think it means? The magazine's contact person

for submissions is on vacation until the dealine date, so I can't

ask him.

If they want prints, they will end up scanning them. Not necessarily the best way to fly but

if that's what they want, I'm not sure I'd argue with them. In such a case, I'd probably NOT

use an ink jet but rather go with a "true" contone device like a Pictrography or Lightjet

(digital imaged on silver paper that's truly contone).

Andrew Rodney

http://digitaldog.net/

A "4 color print" to me means a reproduction from a magazine issue itself. Not

something one would use as an original.

If you can't contact the magazine, you could just submit the Epson prints with a note

that you have the original digital file available should they desire it for publication.

My only experiecne with this issue is entering the Popular Photography yearly contest.

They selected one of my photos for publication and used the epson print as the

original. It did not reproduce well, though the print looked quite good. So try to get

them the digital file for actual publication. Give them an RGB file unless they ask for

CMYK. For CMYK conversion you really need to know what printer and inks and paper

they use.

Good luck with the publication!

The exact wording on the submission form is:<p><i>Submit 8"x10", 4-color, glossy prints. Digital photos or color copies not allowed.</i><p>The dealership had previously asked for clarification from the magazine on the no-digital-photos part, and the response was that photos taken with digital cameras were allowed, but no CDs or memory cards would be accepted. Seems like a poor choice of words on the submission form if that is what they meant, so I have to wonder what they really mean by "4-color, glossy prints".<p>Thanks for the replies so far, please keep them coming!