Hi,

I always read that the Leica M3 has a viewfinder suited to work

mainly with the 50 lens. I supposed that the field of view was too

narrow to put a 35 lens and see the field of view of the lens but

lately I have read a post that tells that the M3 viewfinder has a

field of view similar to the 35 lens. Is this correct? Is a good

idea to buy a Leica M3 if I plan to use it with the 35 and 50

lenses? Thanks for your help.

The M3 has no frames for 35mm so if you use the 35mm focal length a lot you'd do better with an M2. Or you could get an M3 and the 35mm Summaron with eyes/goggles which "converts" the 50mm frameline on the M3 to 35mm. But it still makes better sense to go for an M2 IMHO.

I also use my M3 with a 35mm ('cron ASPH) lens a lot of the time.

<p>

Instead of trying to guess the framing via the M3's VF, I use an accessory Voigtlander

35mm brightline viewfinder. Accurate, very bright framelines and there's plenty of

clearance for spectacle or sunglass wearers :?)

<p>

Leica purists can use the SBLOO finder, But I strongly recommend the new (cylindrical

metal) Voigt finder as it has thicker framelines and multi-coated optics, & is much

cheaper too.

<p>

FWIW, I have a detailed write-up on brightline finders in the FAQ I maintain at:<p>

<a href="http://nemeng.com/leica/027ba.shtml">

http://nemeng.com/leica/027ba.shtml</a>

When I had both an M2 and an M3 the viewfinder frames made little difference to me. That is because I learned early in my digression into photography to estimate and visualize the framing before I even brought the camera to my eye. To be candid, the viewfinder is pleasant to look through, but as a compositional tool it is deceptive and unimportant. It is convenient to carry a Tewe or Nikon zoom finder to check the composition and find an aiming point, but for actual shooting I am rarely aware of what the VF indicates other than whether the subject has moved or some other transitory element may change or is changing. Many who compose strictly to the frame lines are unnecessarily straightjacketing themselves by worshiping the 2:3 format w/o allowing for cropping. There are somethings that just don't fit in the limits of those proportions and are better left out or balanced by something esle outside its limits.