ILFORD HP4 PANCHROMATIC

HP-4 has not been made for many years. It was replaced by HP-5 and then by HP-5 Plus. You should be able to contact Ilford at their website to get time/temperature information from their archives. I don't know whether you will be able to get information for Kodak HC-110 but you should be able to get information for ID-11 and Microphen. You will probably need to increase the developing time to partially compensate for the fact that the film is so old. My own experience with old fim shows that the increase should be about 50% but I'm sure others will share some thoughts with you on this.

Jeff Adler

Your film is quite old; old enough that my information on it is quite limited. I think that HP4 was discontinued in the late 1970s, but I'm not sure.

The processing information I have is for ID-11 stock for 10 minutes at 68?. This would be for fresh film; since your film is old, it will have lost some contrast, and a longer time will be required, probably an extra 50-100%, but it is impossible to know without testing.

For HC-110, I do not have any data on that developer with this film. However, based on comparing the ID-11 time with the current HP5+, I would guess that an appropriate time for your film would be somewhere in the 12-16 minute range. Keep in mind that this is a two step guess (age of the film, different developer). If you are concerned about getting the best possible results, I would suggest a clip test first before developing the remainder of the roll.

David Carper

ILFORD Technical Service

Hold off for a few days - there's a slim chance I may still have an old Ilford tech sheet on HP4 (remember the A5 2-hole binder? LOL). If so, it'll be in a storage facility about 50 miles from me. By coincidence I'll be swinging by it in the next week. If you're in a rush and can't wait then let me know and I won't bother :).

Just as an aside does anyone have any dev time info for Ilford HPS motion picture film? Yes, that is an "ess" and not a five.

I have a bulk roll (400 foot) that is dated 1968 that I have been working my way through.

So far I have found that exposing at 200 speed and dev in Rodinal 1+25 for 7:30 @ 20DegC gives me huge grain but reasonable tone.

Any help appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Back in the 1960's Ilford's line-up included Pan-F, FP3, HP3 and HPS (with an "ess"). The HP3 was grainy and rated ASA 200 under the old standard, 400 under the revised ASA standard in use today but called ISO. Ilford HPS was a super speed emulsion that today would be rated ISO 800. It was also super grainy! Unlike Kodak, Ilford motion picture and still films had the same speed for the same names.