film for trip to China

I'll be going to China next month, so I'm looking for reccomendations

for films you think are appropriate. Here's where I'm going:

Beijing, Langfang, Shijiazhuang, Nanjing, Hefei, Changsha, Chengdu,

Hangzhou, Shanghai.

I imagine I'll be doing street and landscape photos, just typical

travel stuff. I'm not sure what it's like there, though, and

therefore don't have a clue what would work. Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks! Jeanie

Jean-Hee, did you decide which camera you will be taking? As far as film,I would take Tri-x for B&W ,It will give you the speed you might need,and good tonal range. I would shoot what ever color film you have learned to use. If you do not have a favorite film ,I shoot Kodak Elite Extra Color 100 asa,when I shoot chrome,I want the vivid colors. I would take a few rolls of a fast Color Neg film like Fuji 800 press .This can be shot almost anytime of the day. I would also think about some 100 color neg for tricky lighting problems. I do not know about the xray machines now in china, they used to fry film 20 yrs ago . I would take some xray bags and ask for hand searches,you might not get them ,but then again you might. Remember each time your film is scanned it adds a little more damage.Get hand searches whenever possable. Do not put film in any checked baggage,it will be ruined.

I went to China last year and came back with about 15-20 rolls of film, all went through numerous x-ray machines. No problems.

One thing I would suggest though, is to bring a polarizing filter. I found that sometimes the skies just got very white-grayish, and made my photos of monuments and buildings look very dull. Looking back, I think maybe a polarizer would have helped avoid this.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for asking! Actually, it took awhile after I got back to get my film developed, and I don't have it finished yet! I have to take in some slides to get them scanned. I had a fantastic time and saw many amazing things, played fun concerts, and celebrated my strangest Christmas and birthday yet. I'll be getting the photos in pretty soon, so I'll try to post them...

All the best,

Jeanie