D 23 dilution ?

nicolas_renon

You may use it stock or diluted or as part one of a two part developer, with sodium carbonate or borax as the second part. You may need to mix it double strength for use as a two part with thin emulsion films, or perhaps only 1 1/2. Films have changed since this technique was popular. Increase solution strength if you can not get sufficient density in four minutes in part a, D23 stock. Increase only metol, not sodium sulfite.

I second Barry Thornton's formula. Before he passed away, I e-mailed him because the formulae on his website and in his book "the Edge of Darkness" were different. He told me that he changed to formula to 6.5g per liter of metol in the A bath since he published the formula on his website. This formula works great. If you want to give your film minus development, try 8g per liter of sodium metaborate in bath B. For plus development, try 20g per liter of sodium metaborate in the B bath. Normal, I believe, is 12g per liter.

Thornton increased his formulat to 6.5g, but did indeed reduce the metol in his A bath because he felt the results with 7.5g metol were too contrasty. His formula also differs from D-23 in that it uses 80g per liter of sodium sulfite instead of 100g. I have not tested this out, but I bet that not much development (if any) takes place in the A bath of Thornton's formula. I have modified his formula by putting 40g/liter of sodium sulfite in the A bath, and 40g/liter of it in the B bath (similar to Vestal's divided D-76) and this also works very well.

Nicolas, you might wan't to give Kodak a call on their 800 phone number at 1-800-242-2424 extension 19 (between 9am and 7pm,New York time, I assume). They are usually most helpful. I'm almost positive that Kodak's recommended development times are for diffusion enlarging or contact printing...All the best...Jim