E100-G really the same warmth as E100-S?

Netters, I was comparing some E100-S slides with their more recent

E100-G brethren, and noticed that the latter seemed noticeably more

neutral. Does anyone have any experience with this, or with whether

E100-GX is a closer match? I'm heading to the Middle East and am

about to stock up.

The E100GX is warmer and slightly more saturated compared to E100G. This may e similar to E100S but I have not shot much E100S so I cannot comment. E100GX is definitely less saturated (and less grainy) compared to E100VS (of which I've shot lots).

The E100G is "Provia sans the blue cast" if you know what I mean. So sad that Kodak should come out with this magnificant pair of emulsions at the end of film's hayday.

To look at the curves on the Kodak data sheets, E100G is a trifle cooler than E100S. The three curves (R, G, & B) track very parallel, but the blue curve is the tiniest bit brighter. (Probably a very slight yellow CC filter, or a very weak warming filter, could get you dead neutral.) By comparison, the E100S curves are very close to each other, and diverge to warm in the deepest shadows.

E100GX looks to be very similar to E100SW in color curves. But the warm shadows affect closer to mid-tones on both films than E100S. I find that E100GX is much better behaved outside than E100G, the "Ektachrome blues" are tamed by the warm shadows.

E100G has really been balanced for studio strobe lighting, where you don't have the "shadows lit by blue sky" problem. You will note that Elite Chrome 100 is balanced similar to E100GX, not E100G.

Ektachrome Professional 100 (EPN) might be the closest to E100S by looking at the curves. But it's pricey, and it's a generation older, so more grain.

If I were headed for an equatorial country, I'd expect extremes of lighting from full noon Sun to the dusk dimness of a covered souk or monument in seconds. Consequently, I'd suggest negative film with equal portions of Reala, NPH and NPZ. If you still want slides and you're shooting 35mm, send to Dales Labs and ask for their slides from negatives plus CD Rom scans.

One thing I learned a long time ago is there's no fighting the sun in the Middle East -- it always wins. Best time to take pictures is right at dawn, and for acouple hours after, then duck into cafes during the day, and back outside for the golden hour or two before sunset.